cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my connection disconnect

N/A

Whenever I log on to the net, after about 2-3 minutes the connection fails and has to reconnect. This is every time I use it. Why? It drives me insane.

It usually happens when I do my first search and visit a website.

Any help please.
16 REPLIES
N/A

Have you checked the wiring tutorials? Wiring Tutorials

Have you got filters on your phones? including sky?

does that happen when your using the phone?
N/A

i don't have a phone connected, so does that mean i don't need a splitter until i do.
N/A

Yes if your connecting to the master socket.

Do you get noise on the line?

Are you using a modem or router to connect?

Aaron
Community Veteran

Also what is your equipment?
This could be a power problem if you are using a USB modem.
N/A

a usb modem and i only have one socket.
N/A

It could be a power problem as John suggested, certain motherboards (SiS springs to mind) had problems supplying enough juice to USB modems, thus they drop power and your connection drops.

If it is this, then your going to have to buy either an ethernet modem or better still a ADSL router.
Community Veteran

Do know anyone who has ADSL that would be prepared to try their modem or router on your line so that you can prove that this is the cause.
If it is the USB modem then go for a router as that dous all the work leaving you PCs cpu to do the job it was meant to.
N/A

would this happen on a regular basis throughout the connected time, only the once as i suggested?
Community Veteran

No if it was a power problem it would make your connection unstable most of the time. If it just happens the once and is then stable after that its got to be down to something else.
Still worth trying another modem / router though if you can borrow one.
N/A

I'll try that, it may be a faulty modem. Thanks for the help guys.
N/A

Hi All

While the discussion is about disconections,.and mine is nowhere as bad as "and21" it has me intrigued.

Over the last few weeks at random times although around the 0800-0830 and between 2130-2200 my connection just drops for some reason in that for a few seconds the "adsl" light will flcker and the go out completly,and the a couple of minutes later will come back on again and everything is fine.For example after the morning hic-cup the system will run ok without any probelems.I have been in touch with support via the "0845" number when it happens, and the system shows a "disconnection at customers request".

Not enough for it to be called a major problem,but am curious as to why it has started happening.I have not changed anything ie router,modem things plugged into the phone socket etc.

Acting on supports suggestion I have reverted everything back to factory setting and re-enstalled everything even my OS in case something had got in I did not know about,and everything was fine until 2137hrs last night (Sun) when the connection went down again and recovered itself fully about 10 minutes later.

Nothing for me to lose sleep over but would appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

My system=Mac running OS 10.3.5, via ethernet to D-Link DI-614+ router then via ethernet to D-Link DSL-300T modem.

Thanks in advance

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

D LiInk

I'm not exactly satisfied with D-Link. I have a similar problem with my D-Link router, that simply seems to have a mind of its own. I think I may try another modem/router.
Grimbo
Grafter

Over the last few weeks at random times although around the 0800-0830 and between 2130-2200 my connection just drops for some reason in that for a few seconds the "adsl" light will flcker and the go out completly,and the a couple of minutes later will come back on again and everything is fine.For example after the morning hic-cup the system will run ok without any probelems.I have been in touch with support via the "0845" number when it happens, and the system shows a "disconnection at customers request".

Ian, Linda..... I have the same problem, would you please update this message if you get any clues.

Personally I think the problem is at the BT end of my wire as I have changed my router to an new make/model and get the same problem.
N/A

Personally I think the problem is at the BT end of my wire as I have changed my router to an new make/model and get the same problem.

I am more and more convinced that it is a BT thing,as I have tried everythinh i can think of up to and including a complete re-format of the hard disc and a clean re-install of My OS.

But the thing that makes me sure that it is a BT problem (don't know if you have the same symptoms) more so than anything coming out of my computer is that fact the "ADSL" light goes out completly for about 30 seconds,then comes back on and re-syncs itself OK so I know that on the odd occasions my connection goes down:it is going to be OK again in about 5 mins.So it is more of a minor annoyance than a major problem.

Sorry I cannot be of any more assistance

Ian & Linda Jordan

PS: to those more experienced than I...... is there anything that could come from my computer that would cause the "ADSL" light to switch off completely or is that totally external?