Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my Internet keep dropping

Chemicalman
Dabbler

Can someone pleas help?
Iam new to broadband and i have a Voyager 210 base unit that connects to the main BT box just behind my computer.Its a dedicated line just for the computer, with no phone connected.
I have only had the Voyager for 2 weeks, and the first week was fine, although i thought the voyager got very hot.But this week my INTERNET connection drops out on a regular basis, sometimes only holding on to a connection for a few minutes, the ADSL light also goes out and then takes a few minutes to settle to a constant green,i have been told that no fault on my line can be detected but it ran for a week with no problems, and nothing has altered on my computer so whats going on? i am pulling my hair out and i can not afford to lose anymore. Shockedops:
12 REPLIES
N/A

Do you know if your on Maxdsl? You may be able to tell this by your connection speed i fits over 2 meg.

The drop could be because the Maxdsl is setting the line speed. In the first 10 days it trys to give you the highest speed possible and in doing so may well go to fast and not be able to cope with the speed. It then drops the line in the first ten days it then works out the top speed for your line that is stable. After the first 10 days you shouldnt get any more dropped lines unless the line changes.

If you could tell us you line speed and stats we can advise
Chemicalman
Dabbler

Thanks mwright.
I did a speed test from BTI Hope this helps,IP Profile 3000kbs,
DSL connection 448kbps upstream,DSL connection downstream 4864kbps, actual IP throughput 2778kbps,i disconnected most things from my computer like printer, scanner exterior hard drive, just in case i had electrical interference affecting the router.Which was a suggestion from plus net.But it still keeps dropping, again this morning it was of and Ive had to reconnect,so i am hoping that you are right and it will settle down, the first week i had no problem.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

@mwright

MaxDSL no longer uses the 10 day training period and makes a best guess effort to try and determine the speed the line can support. See here.

@chemicalman

Are you connecting to the modem using ethernet or USB?

Although you state it is the only device using your line, is the modem filtered? Is the "main box" you describe your two part Master socket? If so try gently removing the lower faceplate and plugging the modem into the socket behind it.

Can you post your router states (attenuation, SNR, sync speed) before and after doing this. (See here for details of how to do this for your hardware)
Chemicalman
Dabbler

Thanks Peterstone.
I Am connecting by Ethernet,into the main BT socket,my line rate is 5760kbps downstream and 448kbps upstream,the noise margin is 3.9db downstream and 9.oodb downstream,the line attenuation is 52.0db downstream and 31.5db upstream i hope that helps. much appreciation for every one who is trying to help kind regards
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Well the MAXDsl best guess failed there then !
I'm sorry but there is no way it should be trying to synch at 5760kbps on a line with 52db attenuation and that is shown by the 3.9db Noise margin. There is no way to get a stable connection at that level of noise margin it will just keep dropping out and resyncing ( which is just what its doing ). You either need to get BT to raise your target noise margin or if possible adjust your router to set the target locally. I believe the DSL modem tool ( http://dmt.mhilfe.de/ ) may work with the Voyager 210 although i've never tried it myself. I know the site is German but when you install the tool it will give you an option for English.
This tool allows you to adjust the Target Noise margin(SNR). I suggest trying to set it at about 9db and seeing if your line stabilises. You WILL get a lower sync speed though. I'm afraid with a long line like yours there is a trade off between a fast but unstable line and a slower but stable one.
Chemicalman
Dabbler

I have now plugged my router into the socket inside the BT main socket and this is the result Line rate upstream 5536kbps, downstream 448kbps, noise margin upstream 5.5db, downstream 9.0db,line attenuation down speed 53.0db,upstream 31.5db,i have put a filter on in answer to your question.In hope of some enlightenment.regards.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Your attenuation is very similar to mine and if I had that synch rate my noise margin would be very similar and my connection would be unstable.
Although the system will eventually sort itself out (if BT automation does its bit) you could ask PlusNet to get BT to increase your default noise margin from its present 6dB to 9dB
The problem is that when your router synchs at a low noise margin/high speed it is very susceptible to noise bursts on the line which can cause loss of synchronisation.
These are my present line stats as a comparison

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:448 / 4,064
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:25.0 / 51.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 8.0

EDIT - Can you recheck the numbers as you appear to be confusing upstream and downstream.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

I concur with warrilow- 3.9dB SNR is way too low and is almost certainly why your broadband is dropping. With downstream attenuation of 52dB you are actually receiving less than 1/100000 of the signal sent by the exchange. The modem is simply struggling to tell the difference between the broadband signal and the noise on the line.

Raise a ticket with CSC and ask for your target SNR to be raised to 9dB, this will unfortuantely lead to a loss of speed but lead to a much more stable connection.

Edit: Adding the filter and using the test socket seems to have led to a considerable improvement in the noise margin (at the cost of a slightly lower sync speed). The connection will still be susceptible to drops during periods of line noise, but you could give it a go for a while to see if you're happy with the connection as it is now.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Whilst we are talking about target SNR , I know BT's systems SHOULD adjust target SNR automatically but has anyone got any experience of it actually working ? In my experience it just didnt do it.
Chemicalman
Dabbler

Thanks Guys
Strange as it is, today it seems slightly more stable,its not dropping out as regular.A few weeks ago i was on Tesco Dial up, i had been with them for 18 month,when for no reason i lost my connection for several days, BT came and checked my line but could not find a fault.Anyway the engineer said he had replaced a card that might have an intermittent fault.But it never seemed as fast as it had been, and i never found out why i could not get on line.All Tesco want to do is for you to call there tech number at 50p a minute.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Whilst we are talking about target SNR , I know BT's systems SHOULD adjust target SNR automatically but has anyone got any experience of it actually working ? In my experience it just didnt do it.
Works for me after PlusNet got the hard coded 15dB default removed (that was difficult)
Chemicalman
Dabbler

Thanks for everybody's help.
i have checked my stats this morning and here are the results. Down Stream Upstream
Line Rate, 6464kbps 448kbps
Noise Margin, 6.5db 22db
Line Attenuation, 47db 28db
Output Power, 19.6dbm 11.9dbm
i had to reconnect again this morning but it does seem more stable.