cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do customers pay £19.99-£22.99 (home users)

N/A

I personaly think as that customers are being ripped of be ADSL sevice providers, in many cases anyway. This is because out of the 512k/bytes we only get around 50k/bytes of it which incomparison to NTL who's connection is 600kb/s is shared between 20 not 50. So why cant Plus.net do the same?
P.S.
No point any one saying "well why dont you go to NTL then" 'cause the first chance I get I will. The reason for not bing with them is simply because my area is not cabled.
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran

RE: Why do customers pay £19.99-£22.99 (home use

You might want to do your homework first.

1. Your speed is 500k BITS per second this equates to around 60 k BYTES data transfer.

2. The limits of 50:1 and 20:1 are imposed by BT not the ISPs. You rarely even notice any contention even if lots of people use ADSL on your exchange.

3. NTL and Telewest do limit connections, bandwidth is shared from the local CAB (black / green) box on your road.

4. You don't get the added advantage of a static IP or much else with cable.

Chris
N/A

> This is because out of the 512k/bytes we only get
> around 50k/bytes of it which incomparison to NTL
> who's connection is 600kb/s is shared between 20
> not 50. So why cant Plus.net do the same?

The obvious correction has already been made.

IIRC the contention ratios given out by NTL are somewhat misleading anyway. Your broadband service may well only be competing on a 20:1 ratio with other broadband users, but you're also competing with cable TV signals. Again, IIRC, cable-based broadband is a dirty hack that encodes IP packets inside MPEG packets and transmits that.

Your 20:1 ratio doesn't even scratch the surface of the *real* contention of TV:Broadband packets on the wire.

So there.
N/A

> > This is because out of the 512k/bytes we only get
> > around 50k/bytes of it which incomparison to NTL
> > who's connection is 600kb/s is shared between 20
> > not 50. So why cant Plus.net do the same?
>
> The obvious correction has already been made.
>
> IIRC the contention ratios given out by NTL are somewhat misleading anyway. Your broadband service may well only be competing on a 20:1 ratio with other broadband users, but you're also competing with cable TV signals. Again, IIRC, cable-based broadband is a dirty hack that encodes IP packets inside MPEG packets and transmits that.
>
> Your 20:1 ratio doesn't even scratch the surface of the *real* contention of TV:Broadband packets on the wire.
>
> So there.

Didn't you read the terms and conditions before you signed up ??

N/A

> Didn't you read the terms and conditions before
> you signed up ??

Who? Me? Yup!
N/A

> > Didn't you read the terms and conditions before
> > you signed up ??
>
> Who? Me? Yup!
>

No, Brian, signing up for a service and then moaning about it.
N/A

Are you really in Atherstone, Warwickshire? One of my clients is based on Coleshill Road and couldn't get ADSL last time I checked. Have things changed?

N/A

> Are you really in Atherstone, Warwickshire? One of my clients is based on Coleshill Road and couldn't get ADSL last time I checked. Have things changed?
>
>

No, Its from the name of my road. I couldnt have my surname so I chose that. Im actually in Shirley, near Birmingham.

Bill
N/A

Thanks for the reply Chris, but I have only ever heard good points about NTL like CHEAPER and QIUCKER. In this case you said it is not Plus.net's fault, which I can now agree on, and can take back what I said about it being there responsiblity, but yet again a instant connection has ever occured which not only Plus.net say you get but most companies do the same. In some instances I have waited for nearly 10 mins for a syncranization.
But never mind I now know as that their are bad points about not only a majority of ADSL companies but NTL's aswell.
The only point I was trying to make was how come NTL can provide what seemed a better deal for cheaper.

N/A

Thank you for the reply.
Your feed back seems the most realistic, as eyes to why there is only 20:1. I did not know that you would also have tv signals as well.Although thinking about it it makes perfect sense.
Thanks again.
N/A

soz bernard.
yeah a did read the terms and agreement and when a first got the service i thought, jesus christ this is the best thing that i have ever had for my computer. Now though it seems to go down on the scale every time i download at 5 and 10 k/bytes a sec.
N/A

Another point to remember is that NTL own their own network. AFAIK all the xDSL providers (such as +net) have to pay a fee to the carrier - BT. This limits the opportunities for price reductions, as they would be practically giving it away if they went much lower.

Or, you could do what NTL do - charge for the service, and charge EXTORTIONATE prices for tech support.

I've experienced NTL first-hand. It is an absolute dream to work with +net.
tigercub
Dabbler

Re: RE: Why do customers pay £19.99-£22.99 (home use

Are you really in Atherstone, Warwickshire? One of my clients is based on Coleshill Road and couldn't get ADSL last time I checked. Have things changed?

...only just seen this but just checking you knew that Atherstone is due to have its exchange enabled on July 16th. Intending to sign up with plusNet myself (as an Atherstonian) before then. Any address in Coleshill Rd is a minute's walk from the exchange so good news for your client I presume?
Ianwild
Grafter

Re: RE: Why do customers pay £19.99-£22.99 (home use

soz bernard.
yeah a did read the terms and agreement and when a first got the service i thought, jesus christ this is the best thing that i have ever had for my computer. Now though it seems to go down on the scale every time i download at 5 and 10 k/bytes a sec.

This is unusual. Have you ruled out any problems?

Also, have you read about MTU Tweaking?
N/A

In the Cable V's DSL battle.

I havn't seen any official stats, but living in a area where both Telewest broadband, and DSL is available, I have seen first hand the speeds available between the two.

Here are some for and against points.

ADSL
For:

1: A large choice of providers and services to choose from
2: Much more control over the terminating equipment
3: Allways on
4: Static IPs as a choice

Against:

1: Competiton for the lowest bidder, thus providing crap service in places
2: Slow rollout
3: Must be a BT customer
4: RADSL - Distance will depict your speed

Cable
For:

1: Faster constant speeds than DSL (marginal).
2: Better ping times for games
3: plug and go service

Against:

1: Few areas providing it
2: The cable network is known for its issues
3: Must be a cable customer