cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do Plus net make it so hard to get an ADSL service

gpsmout
Grafter

I have been trying to get a neighbour onto a Plus Net ADSL service. I was able to get myself connected with not too much bother and a free upgarde to our BT wiring and sockets, even though we are miles beyond the previous limit. But geting my neighbour connected seems impossible; every thing we try Plus netput hurdles in the way. At present my neighbour has only got an ADSL sync via the test socket on his line box; this was the same at my house. Plus net agreed to ask BT to upgrade the box to a new style twin socket with filterd ADSL and POTS outputs. This possibilty for my neighbour now seems very remote as far as plus net are concerend.

Has there been a change in policy by BT in providing an ADSL service? If so this goes against the policy of attempting to provide a broadband service regardless of previous technical limitations, which was begun after the 6th of September. Or is it inconsistency in Plus Nets approach to solving ADSL connection issues?

In our area, which is beyond the previously imposed 5km limit, BT have been doing line box upgrades and rerouting cables by the dozen on a daily basis. If it is unnecessarily difficult for a customer to aquire an upgrade, customers will simply try another broadband provider, perhaps even BT broadband.

Comments anyone, especially if you have had the same problems
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Without knowing the full details of this it is hard to comment on.

i.e. have plusnet passed the problem on to BT or not? If not why? Have you (or your neighbour performed all the tests that plusnet have asked you to do. If not then they cannot pass it on to BT.

If it is down to the master socket needing to be changed then only BT can do this and if they are not going to there is very little any ISP can do to make them.

My understanding is BT will still try to get ADSL for anyone that asks and this will involve a master socket change if the initial connection fails so I'm not really sure what is happening here.
gpsmout
Grafter

Peter; it is as you presume;in your last paragraph and yes we have performed all the tests for him. Its just that his case is being dealt wth rather differently than mine, with the newest suggestion from Plus net being that we powwer down the test set up and lie to BT telling them there is no service at all. They then say BT will come and check the set up.
Thanks for the comments
N/A

Why don't you just buy a filtered face plate yourself (assuming this is what you mean by "replacement double socket". Cut out the middle man. Mine worked a treat
N/A

You say PlusNet agreed to ask BT regarding the socket upgrade. Did they?

If so, then BT are the ones that have refused. However, I do beleive that the ISP shouldn't be asking for that anyhow, and should simply be submitting standard faults.
gpsmout
Grafter

No ; what Plus net have done is to say that because ADSL works via the test socket on the line box, that BT would refsue to look at it as it would not qulify as a fault! They have advised us to turn off the router and unplug every thing putting the line box back to its original conddition. they have said this will enable them to report a non syncing long line fault which BT will then come and investigate. In fact this has now happened and it has been reported to BT HLC. We await developments but it is a different approach to what has been used before. in my experince that is. I even went so far as to give Plus net the line condition stats which clearly indicate high loss and SNR levels that woul dmake connection probelmatic unless the line box is upgraded.

regards