cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do BT take so long to upgrade an account.

N/A

I've waited the obligatory week or so for my 512 to 1mb upgrade, and on the day its supposed to happen, BT (apprently) disconnect my 512 line and leave is disconnected for what is so far 1.5 days !

Why should it take them this long to do one account. Surely if it really takes an engineer days to complete, then I'd expect to have pay hundreds of pounds to cover the cost!

It would seem to me that someone is taking the piss a little.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

There are many activities BT have to do in making changes to your ADSL line and if all the activities are not completed in order or at all then delays occur.

BT have been totally swamped by the number of regrade, migration and new activation requests over the past 10 days (i.e. since the line limits were relaxed on 6t Sept) which has caused some of their systems to fail - this has been reported several times in the press and by PlusNet in service status and this forums announcements forum. This has resulted in a severe backlog of work and as a result some of the activities assocuiated with each piece of work have had differing delays.

What you have experienced happened to over 10,000 regrades shortly after the 6th sept and BT have had several attempts to get the problem (which is their problem not PlusNets) sorted out. It has occured a number of times since and it looks like it has happened to you as well.

All you can do is raise the issue with PlusNet who can then contact BT or just wait for BT to complete the remaining activities to get you going again.
Community Veteran

See the following recent announcement: Service Status: Regrade Order Delays which explains your situation and the fact that you are not the only one with this problem.

There is nothing you or PlusNet can do but wait for BT to sort their problem out.
N/A

Thanks for that.
I read that and was interested with the bit about 'as much as 12 hours'
How does my 29 so far hours rate then?

Moderators note (John) Full quote removed as unecessary.
N/A

I know how you feel to some degree, since my connection was down for over 12 hours after my upgrade yesterday, but it will come back.

Aaron
N/A

Well im gonna be really pissed off if I still havent got service when I get home from work tonight as that will be getting on for 2 days!

Why do they disconnect your old connection if they have no intention of doing the job there and then?
Whats involved in an upgrade?

I can appreciate there may be a backlog, but I thought that was what the initial week delay was for, and I dont understand why they need to disconnect you for 2+ days at the end of that week long wait.

For Gods sake, bloody BT are shite.

Do we get a refund from anyone?
Community Veteran

No refunds but Plusnet may move your billing date forward a few days to compensate you. You need to discuss that with Plusnet though.

The regrade has several different activites involved and many of them are automated in some way. So it looks like you have been removed by one activity but the one to connect you to the faster service has not gone through yet. Normally this only takes an hour or two but with the current workloads and system problems, BT are taking much longer to do this.

Again there is nothing plusnet can do to speed this up. They, like you, have to wait for BT to do their work.
N/A

Thanks for that, perhaps the moving of the billing date is something I need to follow up when its all done and dusted.

God I hate BT. I think we have high speed internet activity in this country INSPITE of BT

Many thanks.
N/A

Now this is bloody ridiculous.

Its been 3, THREE days, and no doubt it wont get done today, so that will be the weekend screwed also. Sad

I read that sometimes delays can be UPTO 12 hours. Why am I having to put up with this atriocious service.
Yeah yeah I heard all the bleating about demand and capacity and poor old BT cant cope etc. SO WHY THE FUCK WAS I DISCONNECTED THEN!

I have no line of complait to BT and PN seem to be able to do nothing.

I'm getting really pissed off with this now. I'd be sacked if I were to do my job with so much incompetance.
Community Veteran

There is no need to resort to bad langauge or shouting as it will not get your regrade issue resolved any quicker. It is perfectly possible to get your point accross without it.

As stated before, you and PlusNet are in the hands of BT as they are the ones responsible for not getting your regrade sorted out. There is little you can do but wait (patiently) for them to get around to completing the work on your line. While BT may have stated issues such as yours should last no more the 12 hours, each issue is different and involves different parties and systems so can go wrong or not get resolved as quickly as others.
keithcalder
Grafter

I ordered my re-grade on september 6th and was activated on the 14th, downtime was 20 mins tops. The problems BT are having surely dont spread as far North as I am, my mate upgraded his +Net account and he was only down for 20 mins as well. Never mind, the people who are waiting, it will happen and its worth the wait.
N/A

Sorry for my ranting, but this just seems ridiculous that once again BT have everyone by the short and curlies, and probably just need to flick a switch somewhere.

I'snt there a BT tracker I can see the job, allowing me to pester BT?
N/A

mine was supposed to be regraded on the 14th, apparently my line now has been regraded, but i see no change in speeds, fuming tbh, waiting for cs to update the ticket, they might be still doing something, *shrugs* Cry
N/A

AAAAAAAAAAARH!

In a last desparate attempt to get some feedback on the issue, now that the weekend had arrived, I call them and they tell me the work had been completed on the 16th !!!!!!!!

The reason I could not connect was that in the process BT had changed my usersname! from <username>@plus.net to <username>@plusdsl.net

That could have gone on for weeks! Why didnt someone tell me Sad

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Oh, well, up and running now and the speed seems blisteringly fast, reporting 1.1mbps here Smiley
N/A

glad to hear it Smiley

but to be honest, although BT should have anticipated the increase of activations and regrades, if they are swamped, they are swamped, I very much doubt they are just casually doing the work, as each and every delay could mean a lost customer, not just from ADSL, but the telephone network, I don't know how much of the population can get cable, but if 25% of those people that were delayed said sod BT, I'm going to cable, I'm sure they will notice it. As such, they will be making sure that possibility does not happen.

at least thats how I see it, whether I still think that way in a months time when it still hasn't happened is a different matter :lol: