Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I access some websites with my plusnet ADSL

N/A

HI,

I'm having the problem accessing varous websites, which works
when I'm at work and also for other friends. I know i've got the
right DNS setting, but what else could be the problem?

Please help me

cheers
Eric
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

which sites?
which web browser?
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

Also post what DNS setting you are using. You may think they are right but they may not be so posting will allow us to confirm this.

Also what service are you signed up for: ADSL Home surf, ADSL Home, DSL connect? etc in case it's a problem with that particular services routing.
N/A

Re: Why can't I access some websites with my plusnet ADSL

I'm having the problem accessing varous websites, which works
when I'm at work and also for other friends. I know i've got the
right DNS setting, but what else could be the problem?

Your not alone, I'm also have exactly the same problems as you. I have raised tickets with plus net support to try and resolve this but as yet still having problems. Sent them tracert results 4days ago and still waiting a reply. Have reset router to default setting and then reconfig (ETEC 3812), deleted network config off PC's and reinstalled just can't seem to sort it. By the way my DNS settings are 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50.
N/A

Hi Thanks for all your replies

sorry I should have posted an url and my DNS here they are:
Primary 212.159.13.49
Secondary 212.159.13.50

Im trying to download from this page. I can access the page but when I click the
"continue" button on any of the two downloads available nothing happens (but I know they work. I just tried them from my work)

http://java.sun.com/webservices/downloads/webservicespack.html
cheers
Eric
N/A

also probs with this site

Sorry forgot to say

I think I also had problems to access www.hp.se
Which is the swedish site of Hewlet Packard

Eric
Community Veteran

No problems accessing either site or downloading stuff from the sun site.

I'm on home surf (what are you using?) with no problems accesing web sites with IE6 and Mozilla 1.6.

Have you tried rebooting, clearing your browser cache, trying with IE or another browser?

If you are running a firewall, disable it and see if that helps. Same goes for virus scanners.

Sometimes reseting or power cycling your ADSL equipment can help - could be your modem &/or /router (you did not say wat you have) causing the problems. Leave the modem off for 10 mins so when you reconnect you may be put onto another curcuit.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm using the same DNS servers and both downloads work for me in IE 6 and Opera 7.23
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

According to my router system log I am using those DNS settings without any problems either.

Out of interest, is it OK for people to use non +Net DNS addresses? Could the people with problems use freeserve DNS addresses to identify/eliminate DNS issues?
N/A

Hi again

Im having a solwise router (forgot the model) and I'm running IE.
Its good news it works for you guys. I was afraid it could be something with Plus net. Im using Plustnet Easy start... Hope that doesn't affect it.

But I will go home and try to restart my router and clear the cache.
Hope that helps

Thanks for your help.

Eric
Community Veteran

hodgsob,

You can use any DNS servers you like, however, there will be a performance hit as each lookup has to go outside PlusNets network via the internet so response times will be much longer. Your local ISP's DNS servers are always preferable due to the limited hop count and speed of response/

A bad or slow DNS response can seriously effect browsing speeds. You will be surprised how many times the DNS servers are used. Most systems will keep a local cache of DNS lookups to speed things up but with all the spyware and pop-ups on websites there are a lot of DNS lookups occuring.
N/A

Some ISPs also block external requests too.

212.159.13.49/50 both block access externalt o the PlusNet network.

I hear Demons are supposed to be OK. See The PlusNet forum on ADSL Guide, as there are a few posts there by people using other servers with sucess.
N/A

Your local ISP's DNS servers are always preferable due to the limited hop count and speed of response

Unless you can't reach a site at all. Is it not worth trying so that dodgy +Net DNS settings can be eliminated for these people?
N/A

Hi all

Thanks guys.
I switched of my router and turned it on again.. Now I can access all pages. Just wondering why this is happening.

cheers
eric
N/A

Some routers also act like a mini cache and keep dns records for a while, saves them having to lookup again, a power cycle will clear this, its probable that sun changed their config as i remember they were having trouble with slow servers and your router kept the old settings, and the other site maybe the same. when the page failed the router should of done another lookup but maybe a lockup of something affected this as well. But always best thing to try is a power cycle on your router