cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can no-one answer my questions....?

N/A

Just moved house, and trying to move my Plusnet with it.

New house has a new BT line, activated the day we moved in. I used my dial-up to complete the "Move my broadband" form and everything seemed to be going okay, until the "Checking your line" which threw up a problem.

Plusnet advised that a service was present on my line blocking the Broadband activation, and to call BT150 and find out what it was.

I have done this, and BT say there is no service on my line, just the "Option 1" package which is line rental and nothing else.

I reported this to Plusnet who said that BT have told them there is definately a service on the line, and to recheck with BT.

I have done this, and been told that there is "definitely" no other service on my line, and said they will report Plusnet to OFTEL if they say this again.

I am not a telecomms engineer. I can do nothing except ask BT and Plusnet. And neither of them can tell me anything.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated..... I am in a mood to cancel the whole thing and go with Sky....

Jock
15 REPLIES
N/A

If you have a adsl modem or router or you can beg or borrow one you could plug it in and see if the lines adsl light show a connection.
N/A

You can go here Broadbend Checker and in one of the graphs it will inform you whether ADSL is active on your line. You can also go to your BT account online and see what active orders are on your line.
N/A

Ah but if there is an incompatible product on the OP's line, it wont show up there.

Hi Jock

Welcome to the forums. I hate situations like this where the customer is found to be piggy in the middle and unable to make progress.

I will try and explain what may be happening here.

You place the order to PlusNet. PlusNet place the order to BT Wholesale. BTW say there is a problem and pass it back to Plusnet. Plusnet tell you to phone 150, BT Retail. BT Retail are not BT Wholesale and they might not be seeing the same thing which Wholesale can see. Thus you get told there is no problem. Plusnet only report back to you what Wholesale tell them. They dont make it up.

So now it starts a game of ping pong between all parties. Sometimes, due to Data Protection, BTW cannot give the ISP much more information, indeed the issue may relate to the previous householders and not you.

I have flagged this issue up to the Comms Team to see if they can assist or add anything and hopefully this situation can be progressed a bit more quickly.
N/A

Do you think the PN actual talk to BTW or just log into their systems? We know that BTW are slow updating the database. I would also have thought BT retail would see the same data as PN. Also why should BT retail be told something different from BTw than PN?

In the forums recently I have seen users complaining that according to PN their phone line are ISDN when they are not. Can't remember the explanation given for this so perhaps lisbon1967 is in the same boat. I believe that they all have a common theme in that they are all new telephone lines in new build houses.
N/A

Thanks for all the comments guys. I will now call BT150 and ask for a BTW contact number. I wonder why I pay a £50 moving fee when I have to do it myself....

Thanks for the broadband checker: it says i can receive SDSL with no incompatible products on the line...? but no mention of ADSL.

I will let you know if I can progress with BTW...

Jock
N/A

Hi jock.

Just for info and in case you waste a phone call. Wholesale will not talk to ordinary people it will only talk to ISP's so you aint going to have much luck there.
N/A

I wonder why I pay a £50 moving fee when I have to do it myself....
Jock

Amen to that. I'm about to move soon and I'm not looking forward to it. Any sign of trouble and I'll just drop the thing and start with someone else. But so far on LLU that is working I'm trying to do as little as possible to upset the apple cart.
Mand
Grafter

Hi

We have contacted BT regarding this and BT have confirmed that there are incompatible products on the line, as stated in their systems. Unfortunately, they will not provide any further information as we are not their customer.
N/A

Just to backup Mand, BT won't tell other competitor businesses what services are on the line. The reason for this is they consider it commercially sensitive information as with this info, their competitors could target their marketing more accurately.
Njal
Grafter

"Q. I rang the Order Tracking line and it states that I am unable to have ADSL broadband as I have incompatible products on my line. What does this mean and can I get these removed?

A. Your broadband service will be delivered over British Telecom lines. BT's line checks may identify incompatible products on the line your broadband service is being provisioned on which will prevent the order from progressing. In order to resolve this you must contact BT to have these incompatible products removed.

The most common reasons for incompatibility on a BT line are, but not limited to: BT Highway, PBX lines, Red Care, BT Video, BT DataStream and coin box operated phones. Please call either BT Residential Customer Services on 150 or BT's general Customer Services on 0800 800 829 for further information."

From one of Plusnet's competitors help pages - may be of some assistance.

Regards
Neil
N/A

Thanks for all the responses.

Plusnet have now told me "BT 150 have confirmed with us that there is definatley an incompatable product on your line. Please recontact BT 150 stating this. Please keep us informed"

I have done this, and BT will give me no information. They said only that there were no other services or products on the line, and that I have a basic line rental package.

I explained further (mentioning the wholesale/retail issue) and was told that "BT wholesale will not deal with retail customers, only service providers".

They refused to give me any contact details for BT wholesale and could offer absolutely no advice on who else to contact. I was quite insistent, but she would not give me anything.

I asked what would happen if I now took out BT broadband. She said the same thing would happen, but that BT retail would ask BT wholesale to remove the incompatible product so that the BB install could go ahead.

Is this just BT abusing their position, or is Plusnet simply not going that extra yard?

I can do absolutely nothing to progress this. Therefore, I'll try Tiscali and a couple of other providers and see if they can clear my line and deliver me BB.

Jock.
N/A

Gah what a nightmare this must be for you! Here's what I would do:

- Try to get a "name" at PlusNet support who you can talk to directly and who will manage this issue.
- Confirm with them that they are using the correct phone number to check.
- See if you can setup a 3 way call so that you can be on the phone at the same time that PlusNet call 150, so you can all be on the call together.
Njal
Grafter

Another thought. Write to Ofcom. I had trouble with O2 over a mobile phone and was going around in circles getting nowhere. A quick letter to Ofcom and they put the proverbial red-hot poker into the necessary orifices of all concerned, and the problem was sorted to my satisfaction in no time.

Regards

Neil
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

This link may help in getting more information
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/internet/switching/broadband/