cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are people so tolerant of this poor service?

N/A

Why are people so tolerant of this poor service?

We must all be aware of how diabolically poor the ADSL service is at the moment!

We are also aware that Plus Net generally have good customer service, when you can get hold of them!

However, We all pay a subscription for a service we are not getting!!!

If people make comments like, 'Well it isn't that important' or 'wait and see what happens in a few months' it really does not help the case that the service is poor.

Yes they are valid viewpoints and maybe some people really are that tolerant that they will give people money for a poor service in return.

Would you go into a restaurant and pay full price for half the portions? I wouldn't.

The thing is that some of us who actually use the internet a lot of the time, for a lot of different things, find it unacceptable that the 24/7 'wonder' service that ADSL is supposed to be just isn't.

We signed up with Plus Net, or in my case upgraded from Dial Up, because Plus Net offer a great package for a great value price. Just because it is good value though does not mean we should roll over and say 'Oh Well' when it does not deliver what was promised.

After all we would soon be cut off if we did not deliver our subscriptions!

It is a two way street, we pay the money and expect to get the promised service.

Something that does keep us happy is relevant timely information to keep us informed as to what is happening, not vague comments like blaming BT Gateway problems or 'we will bring the installation of the pipe forward to an unspecified date'
If I know when a resolution will be in place to a specific problem, I am usually very tolerant.

Another point here that I know others have raised, My contract is with Plus Net, NOT BT. I dont want to hear that it is BT's problem, UNLESS it is that BT are providing compensation to Plus Net that they will pass on to customers who are suffering.

The other question I have for 'tolerant' people is this, 'How many times have you been through this process with Plus Net and poor ADSL service?'

Trust me after it has happened to you several times you just get more and more frustrated and wonder why you are spending good hard earned money on it.

This is probably going to raise a few replies and they will make interesting reading!

PS If anyone out there really is that tolerant that they are prepared to throw their money away on the subscription for a diabolical service then please send some to me too, as I can always use it!

Yours,

A very, very annoyed mug (sorry: customer)

John

11 REPLIES
Firejack
Grafter

RE: Why are people so tolerant of this poor service?

John the reason I am so "tolerant" - in your context anyway - as a customer of Plusnet is simple. They are a great ISP. I've never come across a better ISP ever and thus my public endorsement of their service on the Portal.

The main problems ISP's suffer is BT. I'm not going to harp on - too much Wink - about their continuing poor performance. But they are without doubt to blame for the state of Internet in the UK. They have got themselves into all sorts of trouble financially and will screw-over anyone they can to get money. I have never had anything positive to say about BT. The sooner some major competition comes into the UK market and BT gets put out of business, the better.
At this moment in time, your ADSL connection probably is not what you need. If you require a such a reliable 24/7 connection with many backups and fail-safes in place. You are going to have to fork out for a Leased line. There is no other option until BT sort out their network.

If you want to continue to complain about Plusnet, please do it somewhere else. I for one don't read the PlusNet forums and newsgroups to read these complaints which have nothing to do with anything.
BT are to blame...... go complain to them!

If you still believe you can find a more reliable Broadband connection elsewhere. I challenge you to name that ISP. By the way. Not one person has ever responded to this challenge even though I must type it at least once a week. Guess that means I'm right that there isn't a better ISP......

PlusNet Rocks! Smiley

Later,

Andrew.
Grimbo
Grafter

> If you still believe you can find a more reliable Broadband connection elsewhere. I challenge you to name that ISP.

There speaks either a Plusnet employee, a friend or relation of a Plusnet employee or someone who uses Plusnet for their email.

Personally, my gripe is that the current situation has been allowed to happen only four months after the last fiasco.
N/A

Because its better than BT, and because it is only £23.

Leased lines are a fortune and my local isp's (London) charge a lot for for a lot less ADSL wise.
N/A

Agreed and doubly agreed about BT, without doubt one of the worst companies in the UK and the sooner we get real competition the better!

Just a couple of points though.

"If you require a such a reliable 24/7 connection with many backups and fail-safes in place. You are going to have to fork out for a Leased line. There is no other option until BT sort out their network."

If a leased line will work, why wont mine?

and

"If you want to continue to complain about Plusnet, please do it somewhere else. I for one don't read the PlusNet forums and newsgroups to read these complaints which have nothing to do with anything.
BT are to blame...... go complain to them!"

Like I said before, and this IS A CRUCIAL POINT, my contract is with Plus Net not their supplier, BT. I should be complaining to Plus Net not BT. It is Plus Net's job along with every other supplier to complain to BT and Oftel if they are not getting the service from their supplier.

You also appear to have missed some of my comments, so I will repeat this one for you:
"We signed up with Plus Net, or in my case upgraded from Dial Up, because Plus Net offer a great package for a great value price."

I am generally very pleased with Plus Net having used a number of other ISPs in the past, including Freeserve, Screaming Net, World Online, Tiscali and BT.
None of them are as good as Plus Net for value for money services included in the subscription or can compare to Plus Net's customer services.

It just so happens that the service appears to be browsing a lot faster now and there is a note on the service status, connectivity page to say that an issue has been resolved. It does hint at a BT issue but goes no further than that.

Regards,
John
N/A

> Agreed and doubly agreed about BT, without doubt one of the worst companies in the UK and the sooner we get real competition the better!
>
> Just a couple of points though.
>
> "If you require a such a reliable 24/7 connection with many backups and fail-safes in place. You are going to have to fork out for a Leased line. There is no other option until BT sort out their network."
>
> If a leased line will work, why wont mine?
>
> and
>
> "If you want to continue to complain about Plusnet, please do it somewhere else. I for one don't read the PlusNet forums and newsgroups to read these complaints which have nothing to do with anything.
> BT are to blame...... go complain to them!"
>
> Like I said before, and this IS A CRUCIAL POINT, my contract is with Plus Net not their supplier, BT. I should be complaining to Plus Net not BT. It is Plus Net's job along with every other supplier to complain to BT and Oftel if they are not getting the service from their supplier.
>
> You also appear to have missed some of my comments, so I will repeat this one for you:
> "We signed up with Plus Net, or in my case upgraded from Dial Up, because Plus Net offer a great package for a great value price."
>
> I am generally very pleased with Plus Net having used a number of other ISPs in the past, including Freeserve, Screaming Net, World Online, Tiscali and BT.
> None of them are as good as Plus Net for value for money services included in the subscription or can compare to Plus Net's customer services.
>
> It just so happens that the service appears to be browsing a lot faster now and there is a note on the service status, connectivity page to say that an issue has been resolved. It does hint at a BT issue but goes no further than that.
>
> Regards,
> John

My line was activated on Friday and I have still yet to recieve my first data packet via ADSL! Or is that an ATM cell....
Firejack
Grafter

> There speaks either a Plusnet employee, a friend or relation of a Plusnet employee or someone who uses Plusnet for their email.
>
*LOL* No. I don't work for PlusNet. I'm just a realist. A mindset I've developed since I started following the life of the Internet closely when my last ISP, Cloud Nine, went under. Its fascinating to see how the whole Internet infrastructure is put together. Its so complex its a miracle it works at all!
Taking into account the previous and combined with the fact PlusNet are being forced into using BT as their supplier. You have to marvel at the level of service PlusNet have given us.
Firejack
Grafter

> Agreed and doubly agreed about BT, without doubt one of the worst companies in the UK and the sooner we get real competition the better!
>
> Just a couple of points though.
>
> "If you require a such a reliable 24/7 connection with many backups and fail-safes in place. You are going to have to fork out for a Leased line. There is no other option until BT sort out their network."
>
> If a leased line will work, why wont mine?
>

*****Because Leased Lines are for heavy duty clients. Such as big companies who need a fast reliable Internet Connection 24 hours a day without fail. Leased lines and there infrastructure are much more solid. The main aim being stability over affordability. Thus their expensive cost*****

> and
>
> "If you want to continue to complain about Plusnet, please do it somewhere else. I for one don't read the PlusNet forums and newsgroups to read these complaints which have nothing to do with anything.
> BT are to blame...... go complain to them!"
>
> Like I said before, and this IS A CRUCIAL POINT, my contract is with Plus Net not their supplier, BT. I should be complaining to Plus Net not BT. It is Plus Net's job along with every other supplier to complain to BT and Oftel if they are not getting the service from their supplier.
>

*****Its impossible to get a response from BT or Oftel at any level, either someone like you or I or an ISP like Plusnet. Oftel are in the middle of being replaced and don't have as much influence as they should. As for BT... well we all know they don't give a dam as they are the only supplier in town and I'm sure they make that crystal clear to ISP's!*****

> You also appear to have missed some of my comments, so I will repeat this one for you:
> "We signed up with Plus Net, or in my case upgraded from Dial Up, because Plus Net offer a great package for a great value price."
>
> I am generally very pleased with Plus Net having used a number of other ISPs in the past, including Freeserve, Screaming Net, World Online, Tiscali and BT.
> None of them are as good as Plus Net for value for money services included in the subscription or can compare to Plus Net's customer services.
>

*****Yup sorry. I didn't read your post correctly. I went off into one of my 'hate BT' rants :p*****

> It just so happens that the service appears to be browsing a lot faster now and there is a note on the service status, connectivity page to say that an issue has been resolved. It does hint at a BT issue but goes no further than that.
>
> Regards,
> John

Later,

Andrew.

N/A

The service is bad atm, and I am not sure how this is a BT issue to tell you the truth.

I am not getting any severe packet loss until I hit
dolpiaza.core.telehouse.plus.net which a router in telehouse where Plusnet are peering with Nildram. I am not sure how the problem is BTs Gateway. I get no packet loss of the gateway at the Ilford POP and it only become bad in Plusnet's core.

Phil
N/A

John,
Could you please tell us to which isp you are moving to?
I take it that you are going to change from plusnet, as it is obvious from your various postings that you are very annoyed and unhappy with the service you are getting here.
"Actions speak louder than words" sometimes, "vote with your feet" etc.
Rog
N/A

Hi Roger,

Just a quick question for you before I answer yours,

Did you read my posts carefully?

I have stated that there are things that I find disatisfactory about the current speed/browsing problems with ADSL and I post these points so that I make Plus Net aware of how myself and probably others are feeling. It also gives other people a chance to air their views.

I also post positive comments! Read some of the earlier posts in this thread. I have stated that I have had a number of ISPs and none of them have provided the services that I get with my Plus Net package, nor been as good as Plus Net.

The point I am trying to make though was made by someone else recently:
Plus Net are one of the best and set high standards for packages and services. Therefore as a paying customer I expect those high standards to be met.

If you read the service status, connectivity posts you will see that Plus Net have now stated that there is an issue and that they will be doing something about it.

I am reluctant to move from Plus Net as like the package I am on. Having said that there are a number of comparison services out there, including the popular www.adslguide.org
If you compare some of the ISPs listed you will note that there are now several ISPs who's customers rate them higher than Plus Net's customers.

This is not a technical analysis and is based on submissions by customers that I personally know nothing about, so I may not trust that too much. After all, all the ISPs have to use the BT network and it costs activation fees to move again, plus the hassle of changing email and websites etc.

I am looking forward to the issues being resolved so that we can all start to post items of interest in the forum, like cool sites to visit, fun things to do etc.

Cheers,
John

N/A

Just a small note John, have you thought about obtaining you own personal domain as it makes moving ISP's (if you did ever decide to leave) extremely easy as you never have to change email addresses/websites etc.
You just repoint your domain which is very easy and its cheap to, i paid GBP 9.99 for 2 years on my domain and made my previous ISP swapping life a lot easier Smiley
I got mine over at www.simply.com but their are plenty of others.
Ali