cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am i tied down to a 1 year contract?

N/A

Not that i want to leave...

But, i paid for the activation, paid for the modem and filters...so why?

Just wondering Cool
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Because that was what you chose when you signed up. :roll:

There are usually 2 options for each product, yearly contract or monthly contract with the corresponding change in the monthly charge. This should have been clear when you signed up, it also detailed the cost difference.

That was what I saw when I migrated to PlusNet recently, the monthly contract is more expensive but is due to the added flexibility and PlusNets need to recoup the cost of the service up-front.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

in this day and age you should be reading the small print for buying anything online, to late after you bought it. So you should have read the TC's before you signed up, thats the part that you need to do but not many do
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

12 months is pretty standard across the industry and for lots of other "supplied" services.
On a wires only install, I can only guess it is to recoup some of the costs of administration.

Certainly for the contracts where the hardware is supplied "free" or activation is "free", the period is required to recoup the costs of the "free" items.
As you know, nothing is free, you are paying for them with an increased charge, rather like HP.
N/A

The PlusNet stance on this in the past is the profit margins.

The yearly contract has a activation price set at the BT wholesale cost. This means from the start, they are having to recover smalls amounts from you, to cover any of the manual work taken place for your order.

Because you are tied for a year, this is easily done.

With the one month contract this is not always possible, and as such, why the activation fee is higher.

I also beleive BT provide discounts on lines activated for a whole year, though I may have read that section of the price list wrong.
N/A

I have only just joined and did so on the monthly contract. I have absolutely no complaints and am very impressed with the overall service so far. There is virtually no difference in costs between the yearly and monthly charges, the only difference as far as I can see is the extra £10 + VAT added to the standard activation charge. Monthly costs remain exactly the same but it just means that if I leave at short notice I lose all of the activation charges that I incurred originally.
Think overall that with the costs involved in setting things up that my monthly contract is very fair. Smiley