cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I stuck on 512k

N/A

Why am I stuck on 512k

Im confused.... Prior to Adsl MAX upgrade I have a 512k connection.. Line stats say the following....

Downstream SNR - 23.5kb
Atten - 54kb

Everything I read tells me I should have a 1mb connection (prior to ADSL Max)

I have spoken to PlusNet who say its down to BT and BT who say Its down to plusnet... PlusNet suggested I should pay them for an upgrade.. (Though Ive been paying for Upto 2mb for some time.......

Whos right....

Hopefully adsl max will lead to an increase eventually.......................
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Why am I stuck on 512k

It is BT who decide what speed a line will take so BT saying it's PNs decision is wrong.

What does the BT ADSL checker say yor line will support. If that says 512Kbs then that is all BT will allow, regardless of ther fact that your line will support 1Mbs. The BT databaese is often wrong yet BT rely on it to make the decision.

My BT database entry said I could only get 512Kbs and I have to fight with PN and get them to do a woosh test and then convince them again that what BT were saying was wrong and I have been on 1Mbs ever since and I have worse figures than you.

I suspect you can't do anything about it now and will have to wait for your MaxDSL upgrade and you will probably be in the 3 -> 4Mbs speed range as it's your SNR that matters now not the line attenuation that BT used previously to limit the speeds.
N/A

Why am I stuck on 512k

Many thanks - however checker now says 1mb with ADSL max.... so will I be limited to that or will it find its own level based on act line stats

Roll on September .......
Community Veteran

Why am I stuck on 512k

It will find it's maximum level itself.
N/A

Why am I stuck on 512k

Like I say Roll on September cheers fella
N/A

Why am I stuck on 512k

now im even more confused

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

reports 2000 as bts advised rate.... modem has been rebooted and reconnected and sticks at 576k as before...

Dlink 604+ modem router.... does it need to be changed or is it still wait and see.
Community Veteran

Why am I stuck on 512k

Its become apparent that that page is not at all accurate and seems to be based on which product your on!