cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I connecting at 1.0Mbps

Delves
Grafter

I'm not complaining, but why am i connecting at 1Mbps. Any suggestions as this has happend last night and today
14 REPLIES
N/A

Shhhh! Wink You fool!

Seriously though, I got no idea. I'm still connected at 512/256.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I had that once, for all of 5 or so mins until the BT enginer figured out he had made a mistake. Lost connection and was back to normal.

But looks like someone on your exchange was getting 1mbit upgrade and the Qualified BT Enginer did the wrong line.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

U lucky so & so. U may get away with using it all weekend if your lucky, bet the person who should have had its none to impressed though, is it very very fast, then.
Delves
Grafter

Well to be honest I dont do a lot of downloading, I'm after faster uploads for gaming so its wasted on me really.

I think its just miss reporting the connection speed....
N/A

Well at least you didn't have to pay a regrade fee!!!
N/A

Very often my Wip Tech icon in the system tray reports that I am connected at 1Mbps for a while then reverts back to the correct 576.0 kbps. Never noticed a change in speed though.
N/A

i got 2 meg ,,i wonder if i can get faster,,,,any help would be great,,,anyone no any packages that are hight then 2 meg,,how much are they,,,and do plus net do one,,,
N/A

Under the BT IPStream package that PlusNet use, the maximum downward speed is 2mb/s.

All IPStream packages come with a maximum of 256kb/s upstream.

The same applies to DataStream connections which PlusNet don't provide. Only the contention can be changed on this.

Bulldog provide a 6mb/s package (see details on ADSL Guide HERE), which only operates at such speeds Mon - Fri, 6pm to 8am. It turns to 512kb/s at all other times.

Other packages they do can be see on ADSL guide HERE. However, i strongly sugest you read the feedback forums on ADSL Guide, as some of them are not too good. Note, Bulldog only provide speeds above 2mb/s in central london, and a few other select locations.
pgudge
Grafter

I had that once, for all of 5 or so mins until the BT enginer figured out he had made a mistake. Lost connection and was back to normal.

But looks like someone on your exchange was getting 1mbit upgrade and the Qualified BT Enginer did the wrong line.

So is this £50 fee they charge for upgrading, just for the BT guy to go out and test your line on the higher speed? and can take upto 10 days to sort out?

PaulG
N/A

£35+vat of that goes to BT for the line tests and engineer time taken to perform the upgrade. If your line fails, you are returned to your existing service and your regrade fee refunded.

£15+vat (making a total of £50 +vat) goes to PlusNet as an administration fee. Due to the higher volumes of work involved in the regrade (regrades are currently a fully manual process), PlusNet charge this fee.

Can PlusNet confirm what happens to this admin fee if the regrade fails?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

If the regrade fails for whatever reason then we will make a full refund of any regrade fee (including the admin fee) paid.

You'd then stay on the 512Kbps service without any loss of service.
pgudge
Grafter

To Clarify

If I signup for 1mb or 2mb, you charge £50+vat

The BT guy trys the line on the new service, if successful, you are upgraded to that server, but if it fails you are left on your 512k service, and the £50+vat charge is returned to you.

PaulG

p.s. Are you most likely to be able to get the 1mb over the 2mb due to distance from exchange, or if you can get 1mb you can get 2mb?
N/A

Wish they'd make the same mistake and plug me into 1 mb just so i can see if it works!

BT knocked me back for the 1mb service earlier this month, im on a good digital exchange so i don't know their reasons.

But yup if you get a knock back PlusNet won't charge you anything, you remain on your 512K. Smiley
N/A

Strangely I was connected at 8.0Mbps just a moment ago, I was reinstalling the drivers for the modem and found this crazy connection!

Unfortunatly none of the pages I wished to browse worked at this speed, too fast perhaps?