cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why a router?

N/A

Why a router?

Ok, a newbie at all things broadband so be gentle and share your advice ;-)

I've got the router starter pack from PlusNet on the understanding that I could hook up a second pc to share the broadband (basically to also give my kids' computer access to the web/email etc.)

The thing is, just how do I do this? The router only has one connection which plugs into the ethernet card on my pc. Where do I plug the second computer into the router? I'm stumped! Have I got this all wrong and the router won't give me these expectations?

Can somebody please help me and tell me in basic detail what I need to get a second computer share my connection?

Thanks all!
Adam

5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Why a router?

Hi Adam,

You arn't wrong, a router is what you need to do that, but you missed a vital element! A lot of ADSL routers are single port... Presuming you have a Network Card in your PC, and suitable cabling, what you need as well is a 4 or 8 port switch or hub. These normally cost less than £20 and can be purchased from most PC retailers.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support

N/A

Thanks Ian!

So if I wanted to go wireless with this setup, can I with the PlusNet supplied SAR110 router? Is it just a case of getting a wireless switch/hub and a wireless network adapters for each pc? Does the router then plug into the switch or my computer?

Adam
N/A

Hi Adam,

Yes, thats pretty much the setup I have at home. The Router plugs into the switch. I have a couple of PCs running by conventional cable (Plugged into the switch directly), and a wireless access point (Also pluggeed into the switch) connecting my laptop, and another PC that I couldn't be bothered to cable up.

You can get switches with built in access points to cut out the seperate access point. Out of interest I have the buffalo WL-11G, which works fine for my needs!

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

Thanks Ian, problem solved. Just a shame I have to wait until tomorrow morning now until the shops open :-)

Cheers!
Adam
N/A

SAR 715 is a four port, you could ask if they can upgrade yours.

Regards

Paul