cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which way to go?

N/A

Which way to go?

Hi,

I have been having problems with my modem, the Dynamode a360 usb modem ever since it was installed. The problem is that when playing games online, it is drawing too much power from my usb ports and so as a safety measure shuts down and the connection is terminated.

I know this is a common issue with some modems and so was wondering if changing it would make a difference? I don't want to shell out for another modem and find I have the same problem. Also would it make any dfference if I put in a PCI modem instead. Thanks in advance.

PC Specs

Windows ME
P3 750 Mhz
256mb ram
200-250w power supply
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Which way to go?

Any USB modem can have compatibility problems so there is no guarantee another one will work any better - especialy if you have a VIA chipset which is known to have problems with USB and current supply.

I always recomend spending a little more and puchasing a external modem/router/switch + an ethernet card for your PC. They are much more reliable and use a well proven method of communication with the PC - Ethernet - and have better security as most have a built in NAT firewall whereas USB/PCI modems don't and you must be running a software firewall to protect your system.

There are several threads here discussing replacements for USB modems, just look around for recomendations.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Which way to go?

The power supply you have is too small for both a USB and
PCI modem you'll have the same problem with PCI.
You could try a4 port USB 1.1 powered hub for your modem,
but I would try and borrow one as I don't think it will
work with this modem and you'll waste your money.
The best solution for you is an ethernet modem or router,
such as D link300g+ you could use this with a software firewall,
or Solwise SAR130 single port router this has its own firewall and
you'll need to use 'port forwarding' to play some online games but
you should quickly get the hang of things. You'll need an ethernet
network card but these are now less than £5 from places such as e-buyer.
Another solution is something like the X modem from DSL Nation it has both
USB and ethernet ports, but in this case it has its own power supply.
N/A

Which way to go?

Thanks for the info.

I'm not really in the know about al this stuff, I've had a look on a couple of sites and the routers seem the same as the usb modem. What's the difference and why would you need an Ethernet card? Shockedops:
Community Veteran

Which way to go?

The routers we are talking about have an ethernet connection not a USB one so it needs to connect via an Ethernet cable to the Ethernet card you fit to your PC. This is why it is better than a USB connection.
N/A

Which way to go?

ah rite ok, I'm slowly getting to grips with things Smiley

thanks for your help guys Wink