cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which router

N/A

Which router

Hi have just joined and am currently on max am currently using a voyager 105 modem but my kids want broadband on theirs so any help would be appreciated (must be easy to set up) Shockedops:
15 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Which router

If you look over the forums a bit, you'll find recommendations for many routers. I'd suggest doing a search first.

A lot of people here though recommend the Netgear DG834 (wired or wireless version - up to you).
I ignored them for a couple of years, then gave in and got one and must say I'm very pleased with it.
It set itself up, has four input ports so you can connect up to 4 computers to it, and I've not had a moment's trouble with it.

On top of that, it improved my line speed by a couple of Mb, and never drops out.
N/A

Which router

Thanks will look into that one :lol:
Njal
Grafter

Which router

Wireless in probably easier if you dont want cables running all through the house, although it will probably involve a bit more expenditure in kit.

Speedtouch 546 wired router here, which does what it says on the box (what more can you ask?), bought from:

http://www.dslsource.co.uk/

also have a look at their cheaper site:

http://www.dsldepot.co.uk/index.asp?

Next day delivery (wrong thing sent originally, but sorted by return of post after a phone call to someone who obviously knew what they were talking about).

HTH

Regards,

Neil
timps
Grafter

Which router

I updated to Netgear 834gv3 last week following advice here... most impressed... easy set up very intuitive

timps
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Which router

I concur with Neil, using a Speedtouch 585 also bought from dslsource.co.uk for the region of 50-odd quid. Brilliant and the only router that I've had which has never needed a reboot from it losing connectivity.

Parents are using my old Linksys (can't remember the model) which is a pile of shit. Frequently requires a reboot to gain connectivity and have had problems with the wireless (a laptop wouldn't connect to it) and eventually had to do a complete factory settings reset to get it working.
N/A

Which router

DG834 unbeatable.

I do computers for a living. There no beter router.
Also the best for connecting on a dodgy line. Will hold sync where others will fail.

Andrew
N/A

Which router

I bought a DG834G when my Mac upgrade took usb modems out of the frame. It is attractive, reliable and as soon as I set it up I went wireless. My visitors can sit in my house and go on line with their laptops. It is a class piece of equipment.
N/A

Which router

thanks everyone for yr input looks like the DG834G wins :lol:
lunarjetman
Grafter

Which router

Another vote for the SpeedTouch 585 v6 on latest v6 firmware. I have a long line and it has been superb for me on MaxDSL. 15 days uptime and counting. I only get dropouts now if a thunderstorm sits above my house (which caused my last dropout else I'd be looking at a month of uptime).

Previously had a Linksys WAG54G (which, incidentally, uses the same TI AR7 chipset as the much vaunted Netgear DG834G) and it was rubbish on Max. It was all over the place in the evening, and never ever held sync for 24 hours in a row.
pacem
Grafter

Which router

I had to set up a host of features for a customer with a DG834G and found it very lacking compared with my Billion 7400. It had no throttling, poor firewall configuration, got confused over allocating reserved/static IP addresses to other machines, required extra software to work with its VPN, would only allow 1 connection to a windows VPN, and could not be configured to update its routing table properly when the Linux server running a VPN had parties connected. Basically every feature I wanted to use was crippled in some way or another.

If you want a router that holds a signal and is at all configurable then go with Billion (aka Solwise). I got my router from http://www.solwise.co.uk/ and have several friends who also swear by them. I will never use Netfear again, they make mass market rubbish.

Paul.<><
N/A

Which router

Oh I say!
Njal
Grafter

Which router

"Seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill."

JRR Tolkien

Regards,

Neil
Alecto
Grafter

Which router

If you want a router that holds a signal and is at all configurable then go with Billion (aka Solwise).

Funny how experiences vary.
I found the Solwise very hard to set up and use, support from the manufacturer was not just lousy but not-existent in that they ignored me and would take no interest in the problem I had with it, and it synched at over 1Mb slower than the Netgear DG834.

Oh well. Good job I 've stopped giving advice. :lol:
N/A

Which router

Yes you're right it is funny.