Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which product is best?

zebo-the-fat
Grafter

Which product is best?

Hi,
I am currently using Broadband Home and pay £21.99 / month, my exchange has just been upgraded to 2 Mb / sec. (at last!!). My question is, what advantage do I get from paying £21.99 over the £14.99 service?
3 REPLIES
craigbrass
Grafter

Which product is best?

Depends what you use your connection for.

The flash tool at the bottom of http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/?link=homepage_choose is good I think for helping you choose.
N/A

Effect of difference between Premier and Plus service

HI,

I downgraded to the Plus package from the Premier package after asking the same question.

As the identified difference is the contention rate moves from 30:1 to 50:1, I presumed the impact would be my download performance would drop by 40%.

My line only supports 1Mb so I achieved 110KB/sec as a throughput on Premier Using the 40% logic I thought I would drop to 50-60KB/sec which is sufficient for the amount of home downloads I do.

Imagine my shock when after the new service came into action my "MAXIMUM" download speed was 15KB/sec- a service degradation of 85%!!!! This stayed standard no matter which time of day downloads were initiated.

Only response from PlusNet is that the premier service is designed for downloads, whereas the Plus package is more for screen interaction. No technical explanation can be supplied for this drop, so one can only presume that the Plus service is throttled - thereby limiting throughput.

No option but to go back to the Premier service - but certainly feel that PlusNet are not making the differential clear on their product descriptions.

Do not think I am anti PlusNet - the service at Premier is good, high-uptime, good throughput - so I am happy with that. It's the lack of technical knowledge supplied to enable clear choices to be made that is the issue.

Hope that all helps.

Brendan
zebo-the-fat
Grafter

Which product is best?

Thanks for the info, I think I will stay as I am for now!