cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which pci modem?

N/A

Which pci modem?

As I wait for activation of adsl, I was wondering if anyone here could give advice, on which pci adsl modem's are good/bad models. My local supplier is trying hard to sell me a Mentor modem ( conexant chipset ). It's cheap, but is it nasty? What would you buy, if you were beginning again? Thanks for any replies. Den.
11 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Which pci modem?

N/A

Den,

Are you decided on a pci modem ?

I have just been through the same decision myself and decided to get a router 'Cause i want to plug in other computers/ps2 at home without having to leave my pc on.

if i was going to only use my pc then I would spend the extra and get a Fujitsu 310 USB modem cause you just plug it in and go, i have not heard of anyone having problems with it and one of my customers uses it - no probs.(I was going to get one before I decided to get a router).

If you really must go for a PCI modem, just read the reviews and forums to find out which are most reliable, I have read about conexant ones giving people loads of grief (disconnecting etc..) so I wouldn't buy one.

Just my 2p's worth - sorry if i have babbled on a bit and hope it helps.

Bill

N/A

> Den,
>
> Are you decided on a pci modem ?
>
> I have just been through the same decision myself and decided to get a router 'Cause i want to plug in other computers/ps2 at home without having to leave my pc on.
>
> if i was going to only use my pc then I would spend the extra and get a Fujitsu 310 USB modem cause you just plug it in and go, i have not heard of anyone having problems with it and one of my customers uses it - no probs.(I was going to get one before I decided to get a router).
>
> If you really must go for a PCI modem, just read the reviews and forums to find out which are most reliable, I have read about conexant ones giving people loads of grief (disconnecting etc..) so I wouldn't buy one.
>
> Just my 2p's worth - sorry if i have babbled on a bit and hope it helps.
>
> Bill
>

I got an MRI conexant modem from scan (cost about £35)and I've had no probs at all with plenty of options to play around with- if you are gaming I'd opt for a PCI modem (as its doesn't put any strain on the CPU), although USB is a heck of a lot easier to setup (as Bill says).

N/A

DEN,

I've also just subscribed and have set up the PCI modem supplied by Plus Net (Dynamode A220) Fitting is EASY PEASY, just open the side of your PC, slot it into one of the sockets, put side back on PC and turn on. Cancel the automatic windows of new hardware found etc and put the CD in. The install wizard takes you through all the install procedure for the drivers and your up and running.

Plus net have been shipping this Modem since November last year and I have not found any comment by users of any faults or problems. To be fair there is probably not much to choose between things like modems as often problems relate to settings both with Operating Systems and within the modem software that controls the conection with the ISP. Reviews also tend to be very close and are separated by things that make little difference to the average user. The link to the reviews at ADSL Guide above are worth a look though, followed by a search around suppliers such as pcnextday.co.uk.

Good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy the new found speed of ADSL.

Mike
N/A

Hi Den

> As I wait for activation of adsl, I was wondering >if anyone here could give advice, on which pci >adsl modem's are good/bad models.

Like sukie said www.adslguide.co.uk is a good place to start...

> My local supplier is trying hard to sell me a >Mentor modem ( conexant chipset ). It's cheap, but >is it nasty? What would you buy, if you were >beginning again? Thanks for any replies. Den.

I have a conexant modem. Two in fact, a PCI and a USB. The USB is the easiest piece of hardware I have ever set up under windows, and when I use it, it is fine plugged into either my desktop (win XP) or my lappy (win 2K). As far as the PCI goes, that is in a Linux box, acting as a webserver/firewall/DNS for our local network. I won't lie, there is NO support for conexant under linux, but after months of scraping bits together and hacking a lot, it is happy enough sitting under the stairs serving the LAN. In summary No, I wounldn't call the conexant nasty. Especially becasue of the price you pay, but like you I have heard of plenty people not getting on with for whatever reason.

>What would you buy, if you were beginning again? Thanks for any replies. Den.

To be honest, if i was starting again, I would either still go for the conexant (Now I have the drivers et al working Smiley ) or I would buy a router for an easy life......

--
Si
N/A

DEN,

Me again. Take a look at http://www.world-of-adsl.com/hardware_review_dynamode.html for a specific review.
N/A

Hi Bill

The main reason for pci is speed. I read that usb was slower and used up processor resources.I'd love a router, but need to keep my costs down as I'm disabled and only have a small income. I intend to network to my daughters pc using nic's and don't mind keeping my pc on ( it's on nearly all day anyway! ).

Thanks for your comments Smiley
Den.

Den,
>
> Are you decided on a pci modem ?
>
> I have just been through the same decision myself and decided to get a router 'Cause i want to plug in other computers/ps2 at home without having to leave my pc on.
>
> if i was going to only use my pc then I would spend the extra and get a Fujitsu 310 USB modem cause you just plug it in and go, i have not heard of anyone having problems with it and one of my customers uses it - no probs.(I was going to get one before I decided to get a router).
>
> If you really must go for a PCI modem, just read the reviews and forums to find out which are most reliable, I have read about conexant ones giving people loads of grief (disconnecting etc..) so I wouldn't buy one.
>
> Just my 2p's worth - sorry if i have babbled on a bit and hope it helps.
>
> Bill
>
>
>
>

N/A

Hi Mad Mike

Thanks to you and everyone else who answered, I really appreciated it Smiley

I think I've decided on a MRI pci modem. It's currently on Scan.com for about £42 including post.
My order has been passed to BT yesterday, so hopefully I'll be on line in a week or three. lol

Regards to all.
Den.

DEN,
>
> Me again. Take a look at http://www.world-of-adsl.com/hardware_review_dynamode.html for a specific review.

N/A

> Hi Mad Mike
>
> Thanks to you and everyone else who answered, I really appreciated it Smiley
>
> I think I've decided on a MRI pci modem. It's currently on Scan.com for about £42 including post.
> My order has been passed to BT yesterday, so hopefully I'll be on line in a week or three. lol
>
> Regards to all.
> Den.

m8 if u have made ur desicion then ok but ill tell u my story.

i ordered a pci connexant modem from ebuyer, and let me say a dissater from day 1 honest a nightmare.
iam a computer fitter so iam no noob.
i then replaced the pci with a usb modem from ebuyer again, and connexant again but i can not praise this enough, and i did get all my postage repaired cos of late delivery on a 24hr deliveray service.

anyway i ended up paying £30 for this usb modem, its the size of my wallet and sits on my desktop.
all in all id recomend this one 100% took 2 mins to set up before i connected.and now my adsl runner connects b4 my pc has finished booting up.

N/A

> > Hi Mad Mike
> >
> > Thanks to you and everyone else who answered, I really appreciated it Smiley
> >
> > I think I've decided on a MRI pci modem. It's currently on Scan.com for about £42 including post.
> > My order has been passed to BT yesterday, so hopefully I'll be on line in a week or three. lol
> >
> > Regards to all.
> > Den.
>
>
>
>
>
> m8 if u have made ur desicion then ok but ill tell u my story.
>
> i ordered a pci connexant modem from ebuyer, and let me say a dissater from day 1 honest a nightmare.fitted ok but just wouldnt connect no way no how.nightmare
> iam a computer fitter so iam no noob.
> i then replaced the pci with a usb modem from ebuyer again, and connexant again but i can not praise this enough, and i did get all my postage repaid cos of late delivery on a 24hr deliveray service.
>
> anyway i ended up paying £30 for this usb modem, its the size of my wallet and sits on my desktop.
> all in all id recomend this one 100% took 2 mins to set up before i connected.and now my adsl runner connects b4 my pc has finished booting up.
>
>
>

N/A

> > m8 if u have made ur desicion then ok but ill tell u my story.
> >
> > i ordered a pci connexant modem from ebuyer, and let me say a dissater from day 1 honest a nightmare.fitted ok but just wouldnt connect no way no how.nightmare
> > iam a computer fitter so iam no noob.
> > i then replaced the pci with a usb modem from ebuyer again, and connexant again but i can not praise this enough, and i did get all my postage repaid cos of late delivery on a 24hr deliveray service.
> >
> > anyway i ended up paying £30 for this usb modem, its the size of my wallet and sits on my desktop.
> > all in all id recomend this one 100% took 2 mins to set up before i connected.and now my adsl runner connects b4 my pc has finished booting up.

Thanks for that Smiley
I've been offered a Mentor router which seems to be a re-badged AMX CA61E router/modem ( usb plus one ethernet port)I suppose the router is a better option, since I won't have to use ics on my pc's.

BTW I ordered my adsl late last Wednesday night, BT rang me on Monday to say the line is converted. From what I've read that's pretty quick, but how long does it take Plusnet to activate the account? It's still being reported as over to BT at the mo.

Just keen to get started Smiley

Regards.
Den.