cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which new router?

Community Veteran

Which new router?

Hi Guys and girls, me again...

Looks like my 3com office connect has finally given up the ghost.

A few months ago my router started playing up - synchronising, conecting, and then a few seconds later, dropping the synch. (and therefore the connection)

The downstream att is 54, and SNR is about 11/12 - so it sits quite happily at 1mb when its working. Then all of a sudden it would drop the SNR to -5 or -7. Causing the connection to drop.

I eventually fixed this with a new PSU/transformer for the router.

Well, it looks like its doing it again - and a new/replacement transformer has not fixed it.

The error showing up in the control panel of the router is in the "local" column, and has "Error" in the "Loss of signal defect" box. So I can only assume the error is at my end with this 18 month old router.

Bottom line, what router should I replace this with? Im looking at the Netgear DG834GUK?

It seems the range is good on these, hopefully better than my 3COM, as that is quite poor.

What do you think?
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Which new router?

I would recommend it as I have had the non-wireless version for over a year with very good results. It does work well on low quality lines and the wireless range is supposed to be one of the best in the home market. Set-up and config is a doddle with the wizzard.
Community Veteran

Which new router?

Have to say, the one I use in the office (I get to look after IT at the family business for my sins) is a Netgear, not wireless, but similar software etc and I do preffer it to my home one.

I'll probably try fitting the existing one at home into the master socket and reflashing the firmware, changing cables etc etc (all the usual checks) first before buying a new one.

I tried to use dial up last night to get the firmware, but dial up wouldnt work for me either. Listening to the tone, it made all the usual dial up noises, but then something that sounded like a submarine ping, echoing, getting quieter and quieter (about five pings in total). Never heard that before.

I smell a rat with my phone line, and or filters hence no ticket raised, but thought Id sound out a new router just in case - as Im 99% certain thats what it is.

Thanks Peter!
N/A

Which new router?

Hi there,

I am currently running the DG834GT, which is the wireless version. So far to date.
I have not had any problems.

Had a very heavy ftp download from work, across the wireless via vpn, and I had no problems on the main server conneced via twisted pair or any other wireless units.
Community Veteran

Which new router?

Looks like it justmy luck again.

Finally found a DG834GT (bundled with a usb wireless stick for £64.99).

Got it all set up, rock solid conection now, but the speed Im getting is abysmal! 56Kb - and yes thats bits. 7/8 k bytes a second.

I thought it may be due to my exchange being red - strange though, its been red for a while now, and not seen this type of slow connection.

I connected my original 3com router this morning, which dropped the synch once, but then remained conected for a while. This also gave a similar very slow connection speed of 7/8 kbytes second.

So now I have two issues. Have I bought a new router for no reason? Why the heck am I only getting 7/8K bytes a second?

Oh woe is me.... Sad
N/A

Which new router?

Hi
Would you mind saying what speed your line supports and share your router config settings? Also, RWIN AND MTU? I run same router but get just over 3 meg on a line that's supposed to support 8meg. I'm not an advanced user and Pnet support have not been a great help. Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

Hi there,

I am currently running the DG834GT, which is the wireless version. So far to date.
I have not had any problems.

Had a very heavy ftp download from work, across the wireless via vpn, and I had no problems on the main server conneced via twisted pair or any other wireless units.