cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which ISP Do We Move To?

N/A

Which ISP Do We Move To?

OK, lots of us are fed up with all this poor service, so where do we move to?

In the past I had always had a soft spot for Nildram and Zen, both of whom are quite expensive.

Main issue for me is good customer service and fixed IP. So for about £20 per month where do we go?

If we want service along the lines we are currently getting then we may as well go to one of the crap free broadband services and stop wasting our money.

Suggestions please...

Charles.
16 REPLIES
N/A

Which ISP Do We Move To?

IF I ever get thru (60+ min wait atm....) I am cancelling and going with Zen.

Have been with Nildram however they are having alleged issues with ping rates on games like CSS etc so wont be going back.

Zen are a little more expensive but considering they just won provider of the year then I think its worth the couple of pounds more.

If not Ive heard alot of good things about NewNet.
Firejack
Grafter

Which ISP Do We Move To?

Got friends on Eclipse/Zen/Nildram. All are having/ have had a lot of problems.
Friend on Eclipse lost Internet for several days.
Friend on Zen had problems with BT MAX upgrade.
Friend on Nildram has been unable to play certain online games for months.

Moving between ISP's who are supplied by BT won't help. As BT is the cause of most of the current troubles.

Really wish there was another option but I fear for the majority we are stuck in the current unacceptable situation. Seems UK Internet is falling apart Sad
N/A

Which ISP Do We Move To?

What about cable broadband? That doesn't involve BT, does it?

NTL? Telewest?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Which ISP Do We Move To?

My flat's connection is with Eclipse, parents are still with PlusNet (this account). I've been lucky that I've never had connection problems with either, had very little downtime the near 4 years with PlusNet.

I pay £25 and get a static IP (although there are cheaper options there, with a lower allowance on the fair usage policy).

My main gripe with Eclipse (yes they are not all with PlusNet Cheesy) is the piss poor download speeds I get from Easynews, so clearly there is some throttling done there. It is actually quicker to remote desktop into my work PC, download something there and copy it back over the VPN.

So PlusNet are not alone when it comes to throttling, but to give them some credit they are more open when it comes to admitting it, and when it applies.
N/A

Which ISP Do We Move To?

It appears the same is happening with BT as with Railtrack, when you hand the main infrastructure over to one body, it is open to abuse. So if the infrastructure is bad perhaps cable for the few of us who can get it is the only answer at the moment.
shellsong
Grafter

Which ISP Do We Move To?

Actually part of the problem is that BT is not one body but two or three that don't communicate properly or work in a joined-up way! It's like a pushmepullyou designed by committee (if you know your Dr Doolittle) :roll:
N/A

Which ISP Do We Move To?

I see, I think a lot of big corporations are run this way nowadays. What hope do we have I ask?
N/A

Which ISP Do We Move To?

What about cable broadband? That doesn't involve BT, does it?

NTL? Telewest?

My father's on NTL and he's had more problems than I have with plusnet. Email seems to go down quite frequently and broadband is not 100% reliable too.
Joe_Scaramanga
Grafter

Which ISP Do We Move To?

Have to agree.
Had NTL broadband for a year a couple of years back and had nothing but grief. Also their customer support have little or no tech knowledge and just talk about 'rebooting your box' (the BB comes through the same set top box as the cable TV).

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I have to say though, all this bile at the moment, I haven't been online much the l;ast two weeks, but I haven't noticed any problems.
I logged on to PN site today to get some info on my 8MB upgrade and all I see is people complaining about how crap it's been lately.

Is it just me? Have I been lucky? Or is there a serious,
widespread problem that has passed me by?

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
Community Veteran

Which ISP Do We Move To?

Is it just me? Have I been lucky? Or is there a serious,
widespread problem that has passed me by?

The main problem has been and still is to some extent that the 8 meg uprades have not all gone smoothly, and if you are one of those that have suffered then its almost impossible to contact support to speak to a human.

Hopefully that is being dealt with and we are promised that things will improve soon.
bootletip
Grafter

is namesco an ISP worth looking at?

I too have been thinking of changing isp's but when I read the boards each company seems to have problems ins ome way or another -

for me cost is a major factor as well as quality.

I currently am on the old PN easystart package which is paid for by a charity that I operate from my home. so the cost is very important to us, we would also like to see if we can get the costs down at the same time. I currently connect at 2.2mg and have never gone over 2gb of downloads

anyone got any thoughts on namesco?
or which isp would be worth looking at.

and while I am here - I read about routers and tweaking this and that!

just how do I do that and where do I find any information on my pc?

alison
N/A

Which ISP Do We Move To?

Hi Alison,

If you are generally happy with your PlusNet service, there may be options open to you to move to a different package and indeed one of the current packages, which might reduce the monthly cost.

With regards routers etc. What do you need to know? I am sure that we can tap the various community resoruces to dig out the info that you need.

Info on tewaking your connection can be found here courtesy of Kitz. That should be a valuable starting point for you.
N/A

Which ISP Do We Move To?

I have just arranged to move away to P*p*x. They do an uncapped (up to) 8Mb unlimited package with 24/7 free (01 and 02 number)telephone calls for £29.99 a month.
N/A

Which ISP Do We Move To?

P*p*x. They do an uncapped (up to) 8Mb unlimited package

Hmmm! yes...... and here is the catch http://www.pipex.co.uk/legal/changes-faq.php

I thought my Pipex Broadband was unlimited?

For our uncapped services, Pipex is not imposing a usage limit on how much data you can transfer or when you can use your connection. We are simply looking to address the challenges of managing a shared service in the interest of the majority of users, during peak periods and for the needs of the rapidly evolving online world of broadband. This demands network traffic management measures to be deployed in order to allow our network to be used fairly and to maximise its performance.