Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Broadband

Lolaan
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Which Broadband

I am on a dialup at the moment and I am looking into getting Broadband. I am using my connection mostly for email and surfing, 1hour in the evenig monday to friday and 10-12 hours at the weekend. i do occasionally download files as well.
I am looking at Broadband Plus and Broadband Pay as You go.
With Pay as you go, I do not know how to compare my usage with the dial up with the broadband Pay as You go to see if Iwill need to pay extra every months.
I still want to be able to download files whenever I want, even though it is occasional.
Should I go for Broadband Plus first, and upgrade later or go straight with Broadband Pay as you go?
Thank you.
12 REPLIES
N/A

Which Broadband

I was on ( an older version of ) Broadband Plus and I would say try that one first, it will probably give you all that you want but you can always swap afterwards if it isn't right for you. You cannot really check what you were using with dial-up but it probably wasn't much at that speed for such short times.
Lolaan
Rising Star

Which Broadband

Can you still download files with broadband plus, if only occasionally?
namtab
Grafter

Which Broadband

Can you still download files with broadband plus, if only occasionally?yes Cheesy
mikewogden
Grafter

Which Broadband

I've been on Broadband Plus for over a year and except for the silly Max DSL Problems, it has suited my needs perfectly.
I've downloaded programs, Linuix images approx 450 Meg, BBC Video clips.
I also use it for browsing, internet phone and web cams.
Music radio streaming is fine and my teenage daughter uses it for MSN etc.

I've never once exceeded the 3 Gig download limit.

I am a bit concerned when more streaming becomes the norm if that limit will be sufficient but we'll have too wait and see.

Because of the MaxDSL problems Sad , high latency and constant disconnects with not much increase in speed, I've been looking for an alternative but I can't find anything giving the same value.

I'm sure it will get better.

Regards

Mike
Lolaan
Rising Star

Which Broadband

because of the MaxDSL problems, high latency and constant disconnects with not much increase in speed........
Does that mean there is that kind of problems with Broadband Plus?
One positive thing with my dialup, most of the time I can connect first time, and seldom have problems with connection drops or disconnection, I wouldn't like to upgrade and find myself back to a connection where I won't know whether this time I will be able to connect or not.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Which Broadband

Most people don't have problems with MaxDSL but if you are going broadband you should get a router which will automatically reconnect if you lose connection.
When you say you download files, if this is P2P or FTP then BB+ should not be your first choice. I would go for PAYG in this case. It is doubtful if you will even exceed the 1GB included by much more than an extra GB (£1.25 if not bought in advance)
If it is from normal http sites then BB+ would be fine.
Lolaan
Rising Star

Which Broadband

I have got a Netgear DG834, I wanted a router so as to have full safeguard with firewall. I am downloading updates, I might look into downloading music in the future or videos, as I don't have broadband I haven't really look at what you can really do with broadband. All what I know is that I won't need to stay overnight to dowload an update for a game that I am playing.
Is Plusnet giving you a pay as you go number for dialup as a backup in case of problems?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Which Broadband

yes although Ive never had to use it.
with PAYG or BB+ you shouldn't have any trouble downloading games patches.
I would suggest starting on BB+ and if you find it isn't meeting your requirements its free, and almost instantaneous, to change to PAYG.
Lolaan
Rising Star

Which Broadband

Do Plusnet wait to see that the broadband connection is on and working before they cut the dialup connection, or do they cut the dialup as soon as you apply for broadband?
mikewogden
Grafter

Which Broadband

You need to keep the dial-up as long as possible.I certainly keep the DUN connection ready in case the broadband goes down and you need to get on line if only to check the service status on the PlusNet website.

With regard to ADSL max, there are still plenty of problems as this forum will show. I was converted to ADSL max over 2 weeks ago but I still don't have a consistent connect speed. I suffer constant re-connections at random hours of the day.
Occurred at 10:00PM last night just a I was starting a Skype conversation with my friend in New Zeeland. javascript:emoticon(':?')
Confused I also suffer from poor latency whereby it can take up to 10 or more seconds to start to load some webpages after clicking on a hyperlink. This effect also seems fairly random.

These problems will occur on Pay As You Go as well as Broadband Plus. Plusnet seem to want to wash their hands of the problem saying its BTs problem. I'm sure I pay my charges to them.

If I was you I would wait for a few weeks monitoring the Max DSL problems on this forum to see if these problems eventually go away.

Although PlusNet offer free modem and connection, you do have to pay a percentage of the money back if you leave within 5 years. I also wouldn't buy your hardware from PlusNet as part of the connection package. It is very overpriced. I would buy a Router from Ebuyer. Good Service and cheapest on the net by far.

Sorry It seems like I'm being negative but after a period of a year being very happy i am now in a period of being dissatisfied, mainly due to the MaxDSL problems, (I'm about 3.5 KM from the exchange) and the change in customer support. It used to be excellent, now its hopeless.

Regards

Mike
Lolaan
Rising Star

Which Broadband

As I said before, I have a Netgear DG834, so I won't need to buy any hardware.
I do not know about the change of customer support being worse, if there is a problem with it I suppose Plusnet will find a solution to resolve it, that is if they are the same people running it, sometimes things change hands and that's when hell got loose.
They probably are trying to find a solution to the ADSL max right now, and don't have any information at the moment to tell us.
I wouldn't despair if I was you, problems arise with all internet service providers, new technologies and improvements always create new problems to be solved, as I recall Plusnet is one of the best to listen and do something about it.
I did notice that a few people have problems with ADSLmax so I will take your advice, mikewogden, and wait a few weeks before updating to broadband.
Thank you all for your helpful replies.
N/A

Which Broadband

don't use plusnet. try anybody else before them.