cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to go from 1MB Premier?

N/A

I initially signed up plusnet for it's "unlimited" 1Mb service. And now, I am confused with all those "upgrade" news...

1) Do I need to do anything before we are upgraded to the new service?

2) I thought my line only supports up to 1Mb when I first join about 9 months ago, does the 2Mb upgrade really works for me? If not, that means I am being capped and not getting a faster service? That doesn't seems to be fair to me.

:?
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

1) No.

2) All speed upgrades are subject to your line supporting it. This is outside PlusNets control anyway. You do have the option of paying less for your service by downgrading to premier 30 and paying £21.99 for the same speed you have now (but with a lower FUP allowance).
N/A

Fair!?

I guess most of us joined for the fastest speed possible meaning that almost none of us get a benefit of the upgrades, it sounds to me as an excuse to cap us..

Which is very disappointing and you would soon see people moving away from plusnet as we joined because of the unlimited usage ...

Sad
N/A

Give me a reason

Could you tell me why should we stay with plusnet?

AOL is offering 2Mb service with unlimited usage for 29.99 or 1Mb unlimited service for 24.99, it's including a free modem, free customer service etc.

I think you need some serious thinking of what you are doing..
N/A

The AOL service should be compared to PlusNets new Broadband plus service, and not Premier.

AOL perform active QOS on customers connections, as will the Plus platform.

This is how they get away without implimenting caps, by limiting the traffic that causes such requirements to start with.
N/A

Where to go?

Simple

Ukonline 8mb - 500gb a month cap £29.99

I know where i`m going.
Community Veteran

12 months minumum contract and 8Mbs not yet available in many exchanges and still severly limited in availablility around the UK. If you sign up then find you can;t get 8Mbs or even 4, your stuck with them for 12 months.
holdtight
Grafter

Yes this is very true Peter !

its all very well ukonline offering 8MB lines to everyone who signs with
them but ask them first before moving exactly who can and cant get it

As Peter has said there are very few exchanges currently able to supply
this speed
LiamM
Grafter

Whereas, by the end of the year, ALL BT exchange will be able to offer 8Mb and Plusnet will be providing free upgrades to this.
N/A

But when the 8mb lines do eventually get to everyone else( yes my local exchange is already 8mb ), the caps will be 5mb a day Cheesy after all you keep changing your side of the deals , where as we bill payers get stuck with the terms and contract we have to sign upto.

How long does it take to shift from plusnet?

i`m on a monthly contract and 500gb ukonline are offering is still of a lot more than you guys are now offering on a supposedly premiere account with no download restrictions or caps...how quick things change.
N/A

Im itching to see my line speed rice. As someone who doesnt use over 30gb a month. 2mb for the same price IS a good deal. And get to keep the good plus service. Seen as i know people on my exchange who have 2mb.. You guys will be seeing a nasty phone call if i dont get it. Or at least 1.
N/A

To be honest with you, unless you are downloading files, you wont notice much if any increase in speed when just surfing the web for example. The difference between 512 and 2meg only really shows up when you download big files, even then some servers still limit your download speed to about a 1meg anyway.

It will be the same when we get the 8meg speeds finally (if your line supports it) you'll probably find that you wont be able to download from someone that fast anyway. Although you could download from say 6 or 7 places at the same time.

Andy.
N/A

True

Precisely!!

The whole point of having faster speed IS for download big files..
That's why cap and fast speed should never be in the same plan. What's the point of having 1000Mbs per sec with a cap of 1000Mb?
N/A

I think PlusNet are about to lose customers, and respect. Whatever you tell us, PlusNet, there's far too much confusion. I used to swear that you guys were the best. I have recommended your service to everyone I know who uses the Internet, never mind the rampant praise I gave you on the ADSLGuide forums. but now I'm not too sure if I did the right thing or not.

Various other ISP's seem to be offering better deals these days. I hope we can all get this straightened out because this Fair Usage Policy only seems fair to everyone except the customers. Maybe Unfar Usage Policy would be a better name. The more I read, the more I dislike what's going on and the more confusing it becomes. I signed up to PlusNet because it offered no cap, a decent connection speed and price. Whether or not I use 30 GB per month is irrelevant, I just don't even want to think about going over my bandwidth limit. I apologize for being negative, but something doesn't feel right. My opinion has changed almost overnight.
N/A

Ukonline seems to be getting talked about alot on several net forums,

£19.99 2mb connection not capped unlike some Wink

£29.99 8mb connection 500gb a month capped unlike some.

When i signed up to Plusnet it was 2mb connection £39.99 premiere account unlimited downloads, not capped so in my opion the service i signed upto is not the service i am currently paying for.