cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is my hardware?

N/A

Where is my hardware?

Well early yesterday afternoon I checked the ASDL tracker to be told that my hardware pack had been despatched. Not been processed or awaiting despatch but had been despatched.

Now I think I can assume that it would be sent first class?. So I may be forgiven for thinking that I aught to have had it this morning as it would be a rather small package?.

So you can imagine that I was not happy when the popstman arrived with just a letter & no package for me. Prehaps it will come via parcel force later in the morning?.

Of cause we know that first class may not mean next day anymore so there is no certainty that it would arrive next day.

But as it's a service that the payments started for from yesterday (and likely to be taken again the 12th of next month) then one would assume that Plusnet would have sence to sent next day so that I could make the most of the service.

So as my hardware has been in the postal service since yesterday just when can I expect to receive my hardware package?.

Strange how the method of sending the package is never mentioned or explained?.

Tom Jones

10 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Where is my hardware?

As far as I'm aware, hardware is delivered by courier. Mine was anyway, and I did receive it the morning after it was dispatched.

> Well early yesterday afternoon I checked the ASDL tracker to be told that my hardware pack had been despatched. Not been processed or awaiting despatch but had been despatched.
>
> Now I think I can assume that it would be sent first class?. So I may be forgiven for thinking that I aught to have had it this morning as it would be a rather small package?.
>
> So you can imagine that I was not happy when the popstman arrived with just a letter & no package for me. Prehaps it will come via parcel force later in the morning?.
>
> Of cause we know that first class may not mean next day anymore so there is no certainty that it would arrive next day.
>
> But as it's a service that the payments started for from yesterday (and likely to be taken again the 12th of next month) then one would assume that Plusnet would have sence to sent next day so that I could make the most of the service.
>
> So as my hardware has been in the postal service since yesterday just when can I expect to receive my hardware package?.
>
> Strange how the method of sending the package is never mentioned or explained?.
>
> Tom Jones
>
>

N/A

Well if it was sent via courier I should therefor still expect it today then.

Weather or not it will be sent via courier is not my main concern. But I think it's irresponsable of Plusnet not to give any details of the date I can expect it. Royal Mail or courier, I'd have to be in to receive it. More so with courier as I dont beleive that they can leave it with neightbours.

The fact that a date has not been mentioned is not a good start in my opinion.

I just hope that as I am here to expect it today that it will infact turn up as I cant reall be at home tomorrow!.

Tom Jones

N/A

> Well if it was sent via courier I should therefor still expect it today then.
>
> Weather or not it will be sent via courier is not my main concern. But I think it's irresponsable of Plusnet not to give any details of the date I can expect it. Royal Mail or courier, I'd have to be in to receive it. More so with courier as I dont beleive that they can leave it with neightbours.
>
> The fact that a date has not been mentioned is not a good start in my opinion.
>
> I just hope that as I am here to expect it today that it will infact turn up as I cant reall be at home tomorrow!.
>
> Tom Jones
>
>

I received notification that my pack had been despatched on a Friday (5pm ish)It arrived the following Tuesday morning via courier. My concern at the time was that I was being charged by PlusNet from activation date and not when I received my harware. I have commented on this in other postings, perhaps PlusNet could consider a first time log in system that activates the charging mechanism, that way you are charged from when you are able to use the service.

Don't worry too much though as I have found PlusNets after sales to be very good. Best option is to use the ticket system rather than hanging on the phone. replies are usually prompt and as they have more time to consider your problem they can give you a better response (usually within a day).

They are also monitoring forums in other sites such as ADSL Guide so if you go there for help you are likely to get a response from PlusNet Support, not something I have noticed about other ISPs.

Hope things arrive soon.

Mike
ps I'm not employed by PlusNet but discounts gratefully received guys!!!
N/A

M8, I gather yours would not have even have been collected untill the monday as 5.30ish on a friday is outside of bussines hours so it would unlikely to have been collected after 5pm in my opinion.

If this was the case then you in effect would still have received it next day if the courier did'nt pick it up untill the monday.

I'm not that bothered it if does'nt turn up today, but tomorrow instead. But what bothers me is the lack of info that plusnet had provided me with at the stage of which the ASDL tracker confirmed my hardware had been dispatched. I've received nothing via e-mail & yes everything is correct as I've received mails from them at the time of my original signup.

Tom Jones

N/A

I've just received this reply from making an enquiery directly:

"Dear Customer,
This was dispatched yesterday for you. This will come by courier which is Parcelforce and should be with you in 2-3 working days
Regards,
Keith Hiles"

I'm not very happy at all by this reply!. They have not mentioned just what day I'll be getting it. In effect I'm being told to stay at home for upto 3 working days to receive it. HELLO, most of the country work & are not able to take 3 days off work just like that. In fact tomorrow & monday I'll not be able to spend more than 3 hours at home during the day!. And even then there is no way I'm staying at home all that time as I do have a life & have things to do.

2-It should have been sent next day, it's not that much more & in fact cheaper from a business point of view. I'm being told that the charge starts from yesterday, 12th. So Plusnet should have ensured that I can get it in the quickest time possable & that would be next day.

So it's left me with a few things to think hard about about as well as questions.

1-First off Why is it not sent next day if the day it's sent is the day the first months payment starts?.

2-What happens if through not being informed by Plusnet in advance I'm not at home tomorrow or monday when I'm now being told it aught to arrive?. I cannot & will not take any more time off work to receive it.

3-If there is any delay in me receiving the hardware through the time it takes from the despatch to the time I eventually receive my hardware will the date of the next payment be altered to that date?.

What I'm saying is that I'm even less happy than the annoyed I was this morning when nothing had arrived.

And if the date of the next payment is not altered to the date I receive the hardware, reguardless of weather or not I'm at home when it's deveivered for the first time then I'll feel that I would have the right to cancel the contract on that basis & in all likelyness will do.

Sorry if I sound somewhat over the top on this issue, but I feel letdown by the lack of information & & any advance info on this matter.

Tom Jones

fonejacker
Grafter

Hi David,

All hardware orders are shipped via Standard Parecelforce delivery. The orders are sent the same day if the order is received before 4PM, at that point it generally depends on where you are in the country and how busy parcelforce are as to when you get your delivery.

We could of course offer a fuarenteed next day delivery service via a different courier, however this would add a significant cost to the price of the starter packs we offer 9And is therefore not practical).

We are working on a system to allow you to see the track and trace number of the parcels we send via our portal, but this is not yet available.

I should point out that, it being a parcelforce delivery, you don't need to wait in for it as if they are unable to deliver the parcel it will be stored at your local parcelforce depot where you can collect it at your convienience.

We make it very clear during the signup process that ADSL line activation and hardware delivery are not related. BT charge for your ADSL line from the moment it is activated, however due to the high potential for failure of line activation it is impossible to dispatch equipment before BT have confirmed that the ADSL line is working.

I am sorry that you have been dissapointed by this situation, however I cannot see how our process differs from that of any other supplier. If you have any suggestions for how we could improve this, while maintaining the economy that allows us to offer such attractive pricing, I would be more than happy to look into this further.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

Right, I've calmed down a little now Smiley , sorry if my last post seemed more of an outbusrt.

But there is still an issue I would like to ask about.

Firstly if i'm out at the time the hardware arrives. Now I dont drive myself so there is no way at all I would be able to get to any Parcel Force depot to collect it myself. This would therefor mean a second deleivery for which I gather could take a futher day or 2.

But with reguards to the time of the payments related to the time I receive the hardware you mentioned the following:

"We make it very clear during the signup process that ADSL line activation and hardware delivery are not related. BT charge for your ADSL line from the moment it is activated, however due to the high potential for failure of line activation it is impossible to dispatch equipment before BT have confirmed that the ADSL line is working."

With respect I am playing Plusnet to receive the servie & not BT directly. So I should (possably legally to?) only be charged for periods that I receive the service & not for a period that I do not receive the service?.

The fact that payment was taken some 10 days ago before both the line was activated & the hardware dispatched in my opinion does not really sypport the point of not sending the hardware before hand. So the matter that the hardware was not sent at the time I had payed for it seems something that could prehaps be looked into. Afterall this it seems is the only cause of the delay in being able to use the service from the point of the start of it.

But what I'm saying this. For example lets say at the outside that the hardware does not arrive untill monday, but I'm out when it turns up. I'm not able to collect it myself as I've explained. And it then does not arrive untill at least next wednesday, or later if I'm not at home at the time they say they will try again. It could cause a delay of a week or more from the date of the first payment.

Under these reasons should Plusnet not alter the dates thay they take the next payment?. Afterall Plusnet has & would in effect caused the delay thermselfs by not sending hardware for which they have received payment well in advance.

I know there may be a risk of possable line faliure but that would therefor also justify not taking any payment for hardware untill this point.

What I'm saying is reguardless of the way BT charges for the lime the delay in on Plusnet's side for the time it takes for me to make use of the service & not BT's. So say a delay of say more than 3 days would surely justify a change of future payments?.

Anyway thanks for the replys & I hope I'll be making use of the service in the next day or so.

Tom Jones

N/A

Mate, you wouldn't mind writing to Sofa's r Us for me would you? I paid for one 5 weeks ago and still have a week until delivery!!

Cheers
N/A

Jesus, cant I edit my posts?. I seem to have made a few spelling mistakes on that last one?.

But back to what I said the delay is caused by plusnet for the hardware & not BT. And I'm paying Plusenet to receive broadbant & not BT. So I think it's somewhat unfair th suggest that the payment dates are more down to BT that Plusnet.

If I knew of this delay for the hardware in the first place I would never opted fot it & gone & got it off my own back.

Still all things come to those who wait eh?.

Tom Jones

fonejacker
Grafter

Hi There,

The problem is that we have to write our terms and conditions (Which you agree to when you sign up) to ensure that we don't end up making a loss from our customers in the first month that they use DSL. The fact is that if we didn't point that out first then, yes, it would be unacceptable.

We are an open and honest company and we try hard to set customer expectation appropriately. ADSL is a very low margin product (From your subscription fee, around £18 a month is paid directly to BT). As such we have to make it clear that we are not in a position subsidise your connection at any point and I believe we do this adequately in the signup pages and product FAQs.

While we aim to provide an exceptional service in all respects, we have to be realistic with our customers. This is a case where we do something in the most efficient manner possible in order to keep costs low - We pass that benefit directly onto our customers. If we didn't bill you as soon as BT activated your account then this would mean that we are paying BT for somethig without collecting revenue from you - Something no ISP can do!

With regard to collections from Parcelforce, the quality of service from them can vary but you can normally ring them up on the number provided with the card they drop through the door. At least then you can arrange to have a delivery made at a time which is more convienient to you.

As I explained before, we cannot send the hardware before BT activate your line. If it does fail we can issue a refund immediately at no cost to ourselves. If we send hardware to a customer who's line has failed then we not only have to spend money on an uneccessary delivery (two ways) we also have to chase customers for return of hardware and of course the work for our suppliers is increased. Again, this would only result in the cost of our ADSL accounts rising - Something which is not good for our business or our customers!

Finally, and along the same lines as the rest of this message, we take payment for your ADSL account before we submit your order to BT. Once the order is submitted to BT they will do their best to activate the phone line and will then bill us for the ADSL line. If for any reason we are unable to get payment details from the customer (ie if the signup was using an invalid credit card) that means we are out of pocket by £50 + VAT straight away - No ISP could sustain that, which is why ADSL activations are ALWAYS paid up front!

Again, I do understand your frustration here, but I hope you can see this from both sides and see why we provision ADSL in the way we do!

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support