cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are the support workers?

neur0maniak

Since when does a noisy line get fixed by Interleaving being turned on?

I am sorry, but no matter what setting that is, the noise will still be there, and still disconnecting me. BT have already been here to check my line, and insist there is nothing physically wrong with it. Even as a precaution they have changed the master socket and telephone line to the post outside.

I have ruled out EVERYTHING on my side. Having changed routers and filters multiple times. Using only the TEST Socket in the master socket, while having NOTHING ELSE CONNECTED, there are still problems with each router/filter combo I have tried.

IT IS ALL UP TO YOU NOW PLUSNET.
Ticket 22318019
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hi neur0maniak

I have taken the liberty of moderating your thread title, I am sure that will be get a much better responce by not insulting PlusNet Wink

Jonathan
aka Chilly
N/A

Have you done a Quiet Line Test?

Unplug any extention phones, extention cables, answer machines or fax (anything except the phone you will use to do the test!).

Plug a normal touch tone phone directly into the BT master socket.

Dial 17070, press option 2 (quiet line test)

You should hear 'Quiet Line Test' and then silence, there should be no pops, clicks, whistles, buzzing etc. If there is noise on the line, make sure it's not your phones connection to the socket (wiggle it about a bit) and that you are using the master socket. If you are sure its the line making the noise then dial BT (or WorldOnline) and report the fault, they should be able to sort it out. Remember that 'mis-reporting' a fault (e.g. if it turns out to be your phone, extention cord etc.) may be charged a call-out fee by BT (/WOL).

If after you've done your quiet line test and everything appears to be fine, go back an repeat the test with everything plugged in (ie as you would normally operate your modem). So for instance if you need to use a telephone extention cable to connect your modem to the phone socket, plug the phone into that an repeat the test (try wiggling the connections a bit to see if it introduces noise). If noise is introduced then by process of elimination you should be able to track down whats causing the interferance.
neur0maniak

No, I've already established there is noise on the line, and that it is not a local source. I had a BT engineer around yesterday trying to sort it out. Since there is nothing wrong at my end, and there is nothing physically wrong with the wiring, he said it now lies it at my ISP to issue a broadband engineer.

PlusNet tried to fob me off with a "we have turned interleaving on, see how it goes" response.

And Thanks Chilly. After reading the response, I was pretty angry. Since they've actually got back in touch I've calmed down a wee bit.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

I've already established there is noise on the line

Is this noise on the line without any broadband equipment plugged in? Try the quiet line test as suggested earlier without any broadband equipment plugged in. If there is still noise on the line then this will need to be fixed by your telephone company.
If the noise only appears when the broadband equipment is plugged in then let us know on the ticket and we'll carry on investigating.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
neur0maniak

No, the noise only appears when the router is powered up.
Although, sometimes there can be a delay from when I unplug it, to when the noise stops.

The noise is mixture of quiet hissing, and loud crackling.

Sometimes the noise is worse than at others.
It is *usually* noisiest when my router is busiest.

Though, it's been quite noisy when idle, and quiet when busy too.

Sometimes, there is no noise at all. (And even when there is no noise, I still get disconnections).
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Well as you've said you have been through all the testing procedures and checked your wiring, router and filters a number of times. The only thing left to do is get this back to BT and try to get an engineer out.
I can see my colleague has replied to your fault ticket today, so if you are happy that your internal set up is not the problem then I would advise replying back to the ticket stating that you want this escalated back to BT.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team