cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will I see more than a 1mb connection

N/A

I've had adsl days after my exchange went live but when will I get a better connection than the 1mb I have. Who do I have to hassle BT or Plus Net?

Now I see 8mb connections being rolled out, no chance for me if I cant even get a 2mb line Sad
29 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It depends on the reason why you can't get 2MB and what your SNR figure is as to what speeds you will get.

What are your line stats and we can probably make a guess what speed you will get with MaxDSL.

There is no-one you can hassle. PN will be putting an upgrade request into BT on 1st April to upgrade evryones line to MaxDSL and BT will then take many months to upgrade the lines.
N/A

Your lucky i cant get past 512kbps and have complained to BT but have got no where they say everyone in country should have 2 Meg within the next 6 months and my freind is now being tested for 6 Meg and its working they dont live a mile away from me you would think they would get everyone up to 2 Meg first ...........
N/A

Your lucky i cant get past 512kbps and have complained to BT but have got no where they say everyone in country should have 2 Meg within the next 6 months and my freind is now being tested for 6 Meg and its working they dont live a mile away from me you would think they would get everyone up to 2 Meg first ...........
N/A

Same here....

Disappointing isn't it?

New house, fresh copper from BT, the local exchange has been enabled for DSLMax/8Mb/s - I signed up for PN's 'upto 2Mb' premier service, only to find out my speed averages 1Mb/s according to all the speed checkers.

I'll have to lobby for fibre-to-cabinet to be put in.... (I'm a couple of miles from the exchange)

Sad

S.
Community Veteran

you should see speeds of up to 4mb when BT change you over to MaxDSL, unfortunatly its very difficult to guess as it takes 10days to work out the maximum speed your line can cope with
N/A

It depends on the reason why you can't get 2MB and what your SNR figure is as to what speeds you will get.

What are your line stats and we can probably make a guess what speed you will get with MaxDSL.

There is no-one you can hassle. PN will be putting an upgrade request into BT on 1st April to upgrade evryones line to MaxDSL and BT will then take many months to upgrade the lines.

I'll grab them tonight when I'm at home and post them.
N/A

you should see speeds of up to 4mb when BT change you over to MaxDSL, unfortunatly its very difficult to guess as it takes 10days to work out the maximum speed your line can cope with

No you wont! If you can at present get 512, your best hope will be about 1mbit, if you can get 1mbit, your best hope will be aprox 2mbit, and if you get 2mbit, then if your lucky you will get 4mbit (this seems to be the average that BT are reporting -- but thats from trials of people they picked, so I guess you could get 3-4mbit (or stay at 2) and if you are REALLY REALLY lucky and live about 10ft from the exchange you will actualy see 8mbit.

However, who cares? with the way plusnet are now selling their accounts, you have a 10gig clean usage a month within peak times, on 2mbit this can be used in 3mins flat, on 8mbit you can use this in under a min! then you are left for the rest of the month on nasty horrible unclean usage.

Ok so you have off peak time when EVERYONE on plusnet will be downloading things, thus swamping the exchange (thus making it peek time?) and you will all get a 50:1 solid contention ratio(yes yes i know BT have stoped selling things like this but the contention ratio is still there!) which will give you an apauling speed all the same.

So to sumerise, untill they release ADSL2+ // FTTH (fiber to the home - 100mbit or greater) no one will really see an increase in bandwidth that can be used for anything. It is all just a marketing ploy.
N/A

Downstream Margin: 17 db
Upstream Margin: 26 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 46
Upstream Line Attenuation: 26
Community Veteran

http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm suggests a speed of about 2.4Mbs may be possible.
N/A

Downstream Margin: 17 db
Upstream Margin: 26 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 46
Upstream Line Attenuation: 26

can anyone tell me what these figures suggest?

thanks
tom
N/A

tom, try the link that was posted above your post
Community Veteran

Tom, are they your figures or did you just copy Mats because they are identicle. If they are your figures then my answer applies to you as well.
N/A

http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm suggests a speed of about 2.4Mbs may be possible.

Well thats a bit better, in the very long term will I ever see speeds of 24mb+
N/A

yes, but not with maxDSL, with ADSL2+ or FTTH or LLU yes