Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is 'Stable' not 'Variable'?

lenseman
Grafter

My MSR is moving all over the place.
Some days its really 'Stable' but most days its an unknown variable. It can be anywhere between 4000 and 5500. My Router shows 4889 up to more than 6048.
My line attenuation is rock steady at 40 with the SNR 9.5, my connection speed has more dips than a BBQ.

When I see the speed is low I reset my connection, after a few tries I maybe lucky enough to get on a different Gateway and my speed then rises again. If I am lucky enough to stay there for a few days my download speed also increases.
If the Gateways are making such a difference I take it that it must be Plusnets fault.

Any Ideas anybody?
:lol:

John B.
6 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Hi John,

Looking at the delta reports on your account these seem to vary quite often, every few days in fact, between 4.5Mb and 5Mb, very rarely it sneaks up to 5.5Mb.

As these changes are made in the BT Wholesale systems it is unlikely to be our gateways causing this issue for you.

The BT Speedtest should tell you what your current IP profile is and help you identify when this goes up and down.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
lenseman
Grafter

As these changes are made in the BT Wholesale systems it is unlikely to be our gateways causing this issue for you.

Fair comment Chris, but what I am saying is that the Gateway I am on varies from day to day, and depending which one I land on then effects my download speed. That in turn is picked up by the BT equipment which then changes my profile. I have checked everything here and even purchased a new Router. Although the speeds I get are far better than many people, it is still annoying with such a variation considering the distance between my home and the exchange.

John B.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

The gateway shouldn't affect your sync speeds, however we did have a slight balancing issue over the weekend which could have affected the actual download speeds.
It is likely that each day as you connect up it is picking up a new sync speed, the fact that you connect to a different gateway could merely be coincidence.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
lenseman
Grafter

It is likely that each day as you connect up it is picking up a new sync speed,

I am on a Router which is on 24/7 and the gateway only changes when the Plusnet system changes it with the traffic management system. Although Plusnet have denied it many times the line attenuation and SNR is different on the Gateways, not by much but they do vary the same way as the speed varies between them.

John B.
Community Veteran

The attenuation and SNR are not dependant on the gateway that you are connected to.

These figures relate to the phone line back to your telephone exchange.

But one mistake is that these are fixed values, as I have found myself. My SNR varies by 6db over a day.

And also the gateway should not change with traffic management.

The only time that you gateway should change is when you disconnect and reconnect. (Or are forced to when PlusNet balance the system.)
What you may be suffering from is disconnections due to fluctuations in your SNR.

These disconnections in turn could cause your stable rate to change.

I would suggest that you try connecting your router to the BT master socket with all extensions removed.

If by any chance you are running a Netgear DG834 and linux, I can let you have some scripts to graph your SNR using mrtg.

Chilly
lenseman
Grafter

If by any chance you are running a Netgear DG834 and linux, I can let you have some scripts to graph your SNR using mrtg.

Thanks for the offer but I am on XP with a DG834PN.

My Gateway changes every two or three days, I would really love to get things sorted, but at my time of life time is a precious commodity that I would rather spend doing something other than trying to fight Plusnets traffic management scheme.
I have a rock steady Line attenuation and SNR, that only change when the Gateway changes.

One of my friends was with Plusnet and suffered a similar problem although he was on a different exchange. He finally sorted it out by migrating, at the moment I cant be bothered to do that, I am just waiting to see whats on offer in the next few weeks.

John B.