cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When does the up to 8Mb performance kick in?

cardsharp
Dabbler

I've received my email stating that my broadband will shortly be upgraded to give me 'up to 8Mb speeds' and have seen that my router is now syncing at about 3Mb. Presumably I am in the 10-day testing period.

However I have not seen any performance improvement and the 'Connection settings->High-speed broadband' page says that my account is still a 1000kbps connection.

Does PlusNet need to do something too to upgrade my performance?

The BT Speedtest reports:
IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 4064 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 974 kbps

Similar throughput is seen on the thinkbroadband and PN speed testers.

Cheers

Paul
10 REPLIES
pepsi_max2k
Grafter

by the looks of it you've deffinately been put on max.

the speed tester is showing that you're syncing at 4064 k. if it stays like that then within 2 - 3 days (if you don't re-sync / reboot the modem) then the ip profile should go up to 3500 kbps. either way, it's at 3000 kbps now.

once bt have set your profile (currently 3000 k) plusnet should also change their profile for your line to the same thing. the highspeed broadband page shows they've still got it set to 1000 kbps so you won't see any speeds faster than that until it changes. it may change automatically to reflect bt's profile within the next day or so (if you're in the 10 daytraining period they might be waiting until that's over before changing anything).

if it doesn't change after that then raise a ticket and get them to change it manually. mention the current highest profile you've seen, though it may change a little over the next few days if you've just been maxed. just keep checking with speedtester for now and see what happens.
Liam
Grafter

Hi there todheugh.

Your profile at our end was still set to 1Mb. I have made the necessary change here and if you disconnect and reconnect and our profile will match the BT IP Profile of 3000.

Let me know if that doesn't do the trick!
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

Looks like you need to get PN to alter your profile at there end you will have to contact support or maybe someone on the forum from the team.

Edit

** just seen the reply from the team **
cardsharp
Dabbler

Thanks for the information and quick responses. Following a resync I am now seeing the expected performance:

IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 4928 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2442 kbps

Cheers!
scubarew
Grafter

I've got a similar problem in that I've just been switched to Max, my modem is reporting a downstream speed of 7616kbps (and has been for a least 5 successive days) and the BT speedtest is very close but my account is still stuck at 2Mb so I haven't seen any improvement in performance.

Any chance my profile could be updated too if that's appropriate?

Thanks
donj53
Grafter

Check high-speed broadband in connection setting.It'll tell you what you are set at.
scubarew
Grafter

It's set at 2000 kbps.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I don't think there's much that can be done until the 10 day training period is up.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
scubarew
Grafter

I thought I was probably being impatient. Shockedops:
N/A

If you order 8Mbps you may only get 4mps at any time of day I live right next to an exchange and never get more than 4.02Mb

Dear Mr xxxxx,
The speed you are currently recieving is well within acceptable limits for your product.

If you wish to attempt to increase the speed your line will handle i would recommend reading our DSLMAX guide:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/dslmax_guide.shtml

Regards,
Mark Poole

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html