cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Using IE 6 Or Kazaa Screen Freezes Also ADSL Virtually

N/A

When Using IE 6 Or Kazaa Screen Freezes Also ADSL Virtually

I have had two problems since I started using ADSL with Plusnet.

I have an DSL-504 ADSL router and have three PCs connected to the router . All systems are running WIN 98 SE. My main PC is an AMD 700Mhz Athlon with 256Mb memory and a 40Gb disk. I have Norton anti virus installed and is working fine , but had to remove ZoneAlarm Firewall software as this as giving me increased problems with freezing. I still get the problem of freezing , between 15 mins and 30mins before freeze. This is when using IE6 or Kazaa . CTRL+ALT+DEL produces the blue screen. If I hit a key , it takes me back to a blank screen apart from the mouse pointer , which I can move about on the screen.

I have to reboot the system every time this happens ,which is a pain!!!!

Can anybody make any suggestions as to what I might to get rid of this problem , please ?

Also , I have been with PlusNet for about 2 months now and have found that ADSL has been become unusable ( five evenings during this time). By unusable , I mean that it is so slow ( you will occasionally get the activity LED flicker -- no traffic), sometimes the Link LED will go off altogether . This problem can last up to 15mins .

Any suggestions from Support would be nice!!!

Regards
Ian
--
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: When Using IE 6 Or Kazaa Screen Freezes Also ADSL Virtua

Often the problem is with Kaza as if you have xp and watch the cpu its runnig 99% and its all Kazaa. Are you using the full Kazaa? If you are it has loads of spyware etc try the lite version its better.

Do you get the problem if you dont run Kazza? Put a cpu monitor on and see if your running 99%

> I have had two problems since I started using ADSL with Plusnet.
>
> I have an DSL-504 ADSL router and have three PCs connected to the router . All systems are running WIN 98 SE. My main PC is an AMD 700Mhz Athlon with 256Mb memory and a 40Gb disk. I have Norton anti virus installed and is working fine , but had to remove ZoneAlarm Firewall software as this as giving me increased problems with freezing. I still get the problem of freezing , between 15 mins and 30mins before freeze. This is when using IE6 or Kazaa . CTRL+ALT+DEL produces the blue screen. If I hit a key , it takes me back to a blank screen apart from the mouse pointer , which I can move about on the screen.
>
> I have to reboot the system every time this happens ,which is a pain!!!!
>
> Can anybody make any suggestions as to what I might to get rid of this problem , please ?
>
> Also , I have been with PlusNet for about 2 months now and have found that ADSL has been become unusable ( five evenings during this time). By unusable , I mean that it is so slow ( you will occasionally get the activity LED flicker -- no traffic), sometimes the Link LED will go off altogether . This problem can last up to 15mins .
>
> Any suggestions from Support would be nice!!!
>
> Regards
> Ian
>
> --
>

N/A

As far as I remember there is a version of kazza that has a tendancy to lock up, I think it was the version out before the current one, so you might want to make sure you have the most current upto date version.
N/A

Hi Ian,

I'm afraid I don't have any obvious suggestions as to the cause of your problem. I don't believe it will be anything 'generic' which caused the problem.

One thing we are beginning to see a lot of is P2P applications flooding DSL lines due to the number of attempted inbound connections from other people. Unfortunately I can't really comment on the use of P2P applications ;-)

Please doi make sure you raise a ticket through Contact Us if the problem persists. Oh, and remember, Support does not officially offer any response in this forum, so if you need our help again it is better to ask in the PlusNet forum!

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

> As far as I remember there is a version of kazza that has a tendancy to lock up, I think it was the version out before the current one, so you might want to make sure you have the most current upto date version.

I Guys,
I've been having the exact same problem for the last couple of weeks. (Computer freezes, then goes black except for the pointer).

It seems to have happened since I installed the latest version of Kazaa Lite (version 2.0.0.3 I think)

I'm going to reinstall my comp and install the previous version. I'll let you know how it goes.