cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats with the new terms?? Pretty outrageous!!!

danep
Grafter

Hi Plusnet,

re: - Introduction of 'idle time-outs' for Broadband Plus and ADSL Home Surf customers

Whats with these new terms and disconnects? Is this some sort of prank or joke?? I already have people I reccomended to plusnet saying they are going to jump ship pretty quick and I dont blame them. How could you even consider such a moveHuh I can no longer reccomend Plusnet unfortuantely and will now remove banners plugging them.

Regards
Dane
23 REPLIES
N/A

What exactly does it mean by disconnect, does this mean that your router/modem will have to log in again if your connection is idle for a couple of hours because that could be really annoying (especially for people with routers)
N/A

New Terms ADSL

Does anyone monitor this forum?
How do you remote into a downed connection? :shock:
N/A

does this mean that your router/modem will have to log in again

yes

if your connection is idle for a couple of hours

no, 30 minutes.

because that could be really annoying (especially for people with routers)

the official line is that the majority of routers willl not have a problem with this.
N/A

Re: New Terms ADSL

Does anyone monitor this forum?
How do you remote into a downed connection? :shock:

this is a very good point. you would need to ensure you had a router capable of reconnecting as soon as it was dropped or you could try keeping your connection active by setting something such as an email client to download your mail every 30 minutes.
holdtight
Grafter

29 minutes Wink
N/A

Time outs!

Apparently this doesn't affect premier users. I recently upgraded to 2Mb but had to renew my contract with an upgrade to Premier acc but at no extra cost!!! I guess the answer if it holds true is for everyone to upgrade at no expence Cheesy
N/A

Personally, I don't see a major problem with automatic connection dropping, actually it seems fair to other people who ARE using the internet, even if you're not using it. Anyhow, as broadband becomes more and more popular, it seems to be coming full circle with dial-up issues that ISPs had to deal with years ago.

Don't forget, some folk may accidentally leave their ADSL modems on all day, instead of switching them off, if they ain't using them for long periods. So, this action is in some instances justifiable.
N/A

When at work do you think plusnet could disconnect me every 30 mins so my missus would get off the dog pages and do some housework lol.
N/A

Don't forget, some folk may accidentally leave their ADSL modems on all day, instead of switching them off, if they ain't using them for long periods. So, this action is in some instances justifiable.

Graphixmad, Please correct me if I am wrong, but isnt the point of having an "Always on Connection" to be able to leave it on always? Even if for long periods and periods of non use?

:: Shrugs :: Just a thought.
N/A

Hi - new to plusnet and was initially rather shocked at having my t&c change with no choice on my part (apart from to leave :? ). Thinking about it, hopefully it shouldn't make a difference, as my e-mail programme is usually running in the background, so should keep the line "live". I also run software that is part of a global "cancer research" thing, which fairly regularly sends and received data.

The reason I wanted to put my two-penneth in, is that, browsing through the various options on my account, I discovered the "connection settings" option - under "connection details" it gives me my settings for my
Always on broadband xDSL
. Hmmm. Interesting.... Wink

PS - have to say, in my first month, not had any MAJOR problems, but it does seem to struggle sometimes loading webpages - especially this afternoon with plusnets own pages! Don't know if that's simply a web-wide thing, or if this is a warning of things to come?!
N/A

the best bit will be to find out the routers that pn ship as default dont support auto reconnect Smiley
N/A

So we get ping time out with ADSL now?! That's just insane... I've been noticing a lot of disconnections on my end recently. There's something wrong with plusnet. Speeds have gone down, reliability. Everything seems to be going downhill.

I'm still sticking with plusnet tho. Been with them for years ;] Hopefully they'll sort out these things
Community Veteran

If by disconnections you mean loss of sync, that is a BT problem between you and the exchange and nothing to do with PlusNet.
holdtight
Grafter

Indeed and there are a lot of people compaining on the forums and elsewhere at the moment who dont realise this