cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats the story with exchange

N/A

Hi,

Im currently on 2mb, but I have to move to another property and the line there can only handle 1mb. So I will theoretically be downgraded.

I have checked with exchange info page on usertools and I got the same as most queries. The new exchange Im moving to is due an upgrade. Im not really bothered with 4 or 6 or 8mb, as long as I get my 2mb back.

Will this be possible?
How will the distance from the exchange affect this?

Cheers,

Maka

" If I see further than others, it is because I stand on the shoulders of Giants"--Galileo
3 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

The only real way of telling is from the line statistics for the relevent connection between the exchange and the property in question although true line length from the exchange can help estimation. Some information can be obtained via the phone in question as follows:-
Distance From Exchange

Dial the same line test number as the quiet line test (17070). Then press option 3 (fast test) then press option 1 (to say you are authorised, don't worry about 'not being officially authorised'). The press option 2 (ring back test). Then put the phone down.

You will get called back by the test facility within about 10 seconds, one of the bits of information given will be distance from exchange (in kilometres).
N/A

Thanks for the help shellsong, but when I tried it, it didnt respond with any info on the distance.

Im more concerned with IF BT are planning to upgrade 1 Mb along with everything else?

Does anyone have any info?
shellsong
Grafter

Shockedops: I've been mislead and ended up misleading you! Please accept my humble apologies!
I guess maybe BT have altered their test procedures because I got no useful info when I tried it and it seemed to go slightly differently to the procedure I quoted above

Edit: I've just found another reference that says:-
Just thought I'd let you guys know - BT have now removed the part of the 17070 service that tells you your distance from the exchange, due to the number of people using it to complain about their broadband