cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats the best ADSL Modem?

N/A

Hi, i was just wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice on what ADSL Modem to get, im only gonna use one computer so i dont need a router and i dont want to spend like £60+ on US Robotics or somthing..
and is USB better? whats the best (but not expensive) modem?
16 REPLIES
N/A

i would not get USB, and pci is not much better, so that leaves a router. i have a router for one pc and i don't see the problem. i had a pci card, but suffered a lot of disconnections, and usb modem can have disconnections because come motherboards cannot supply enough power to it

you can get routers for about £60 i think, maybe some other users will have a better idea

johnathan
Community Veteran

You can get a router even cheaper than that now £47 see Here

And I agree with getting a router even for just I pc. The router is doing all the work leaving your PC free to do it's job.
Community Veteran

However, remember the cost of a network card may need to be factored in as well (depending on if you already have one).

Thomas
N/A

but u can pick up a nic (network interface card) for less that £10 these days Cheesy

i got a 2 pc network kit with 7m cross over cable + 2 nics for about £13 in the summer

john, ur link doesn't work, is it this you were meaning?

johnathan
michaelscott
Grafter

I'm not making a recommendation to djmusic here, just pointing out my experience.

A lot of people seem to have problems with USB modems - I don't. I bought one of the cheapest modems available (a zoom 5510 from Dixons - £40). It always gives me fast, consistent speeds and has yet to drop a connection.
N/A

Alcatel PCI ADSL modem, cheap and cheerful. I've never once lost my connection!
Community Veteran

USB based modems do have compatibility issues so some models will work on some motherboards and some will not. Sometimes it's pot luck but there are a lot of USB modems around so they are not always bad. But you may be one of the unlucky ones which is why I always recommend people buying a router that connects to your PC over Ethernet because it saves a lot of hassle and hair pulling in the long run and will more often work 'out of the box' with a few simple config changes (like adding your login details).

Also you often get what you paid for. The cheaper models may work but tend to have less functionality (like no hub/switch, just a single connection to your PC) or configuration options but if you are just after a connection to the net then that is all you need. Possibly in the future you may want to add additional PCs or configure web servers or do online games, in which case the more expensive routers may be necessary but then you may have the funds to purchase a better one one that time arrives.

So save your self a lot of grief and by a Ethernet modem/router not a USB or PCI one.

Cheers

Peter Cool
Community Veteran

john, ur link doesn't work, is it this you were meaning?

johnathan

Yes but that doesn't work either ?
I was trying to link directly to the info page for the device on
http://www.scan.co.uk but for some reason it looks like you need to start from the home page to get the site to work properly. :?
N/A

hmmm...strange, cause i tested it when i finished my post and it worked, maybe its a cookie thing? :?
N/A

Ok thanks

Thanks, so i will get a router then.
http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Submit=Search&Category=28
The 1 port modem router for 45 quid, is that worth getting you think?

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hardware/modemsandadslhardware/products.htm?catid=130
or any of them?

pls im so bad on ADSL i know nothing about it, but normal comp stuff im cool with
N/A

If your on a tight budget then go for the new solwise 130,
far superior to those2 above you have listed, brand new chipset advanced features good backup and a large userbase/forum.
The few extra pounds will be well worth it.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/modems.htm#SAR130
N/A

i got the d-link dsl 500 when i got fed up of my pci card, its fast and reliable, and easy to config via a web page, most default setting are ok, so you should only have to enter ur username and password
N/A

ok

Ok but like thatSAR130 is 59.90 Inc VAT...

is there anything worth buying thats cheaper than that?

and how much of a diffrence will all this extra money make on my dsl speed, much?
N/A

Remember, you get what you pay for.
Speed may not have any difference between a cheap or more expensive modem if you have a good connection. However, if your connection is poor, a low cost modem is liable to have lower quality components that will not work well with a noisey connection of low power connection. Also, the more expensive modems are liable to have extra firewall or NAT/NATP features that the cheaper ones do not.
There are issues mentioned elsewhere on this forum about the Origo router that has problems with online gaming and port translation.