cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What we can only dream of...

N/A

1Gbps broadband rolled out in Hong Kong
Internet users in Hong Kong can now browse the internet at speeds that UK residents only dream about.

Hong Kong Broadband Network has launched a new ultra fast service. The symmetric 1Gbps service costs approximately £112 per month, but obliterates the kind of speeds we are used to in the UK. We are eagerly waiting for the rollout of an 8Mbps service and consider that to be fast.

While this kind of speed is unlikely to be available in the UK for some time, the possibilities for its use are immense. Large publishers could offer direct download services for their games, online gaming could be revolutionised and TV channels could be streamed at MPEG-2 DVD quality. It is hard to actually imagine speeds reaching 1Gbps in the UK, but we can dream.

mmmmhummmm
9 REPLIES
N/A

kinda put's things into perspective in how out of date our infrastructure is in this country doesn't it?
Cloudmaster
Grafter

You can't really compare Hong Kong with the UK. Hong Kong is just 6 times bigger than Washington DC so creating a fast broadband infrastructure as that which you describe is going to be a lot easier in Hong kong as it is in the UK
N/A

Theres no reason why we shouldnt start implementing a Ethernet based system here though. Better speeds all round.
N/A

Correct me if I am wrong, and I am sure someone will, I was under the impression that a whole new network was being built by BT and partners alongside the existing one so that over time we can migrate everything to a better carrier system that far faster than our wildest dreams for all purpose.

If I remember where I read this (I'm sure it was a PC mag) then I'll post a link to it here sometime. :roll:
Cloudmaster
Grafter

Ethernet (as far as I'm aware) is just a cabling standard. The telephone infrastructure (again, as far as I'm aware) in no way reaches that standard. To replace the cabling system in the whole UK which reaches Ethernet standards would run into the quadzillions.

May be wrong though
N/A

Theres no reason why we shouldnt start implementing a Ethernet based system here though. Better speeds all round

Which is indeed already taking place.

Unfortunatly, it is being done by BT and other companies, which do it by spending as little as possible for the maximum return. In other workds slow progress.

Hong Kongs tollout is government subsidised, and population density is very high.

They get more back on the "spend little, earn lots" basis, than they do in the UK.

The new UK platform involves the 2CN (20th Century Network) and implimentations of FTTP (Fiber to the Premesis) which is currently getting extended London trials.
N/A

2CN (20th Century Network)

You see, already a century behind Wink
LiamM
Grafter

Slight OT I know, but I thought it was an interesting fact to add.

I had a BT guy over today to install 2 business lines for me.

According to him, when BT got rid of the lead cabling and laid a Fibre Link to their trunk network from our exchange, they were a bit worried about the cost. However, they actually made money on doing so, as the scrap value for the lead was higher than the cost of laying down the Fibre... hehe... :lol:
N/A

surly they use copper? ah well. we can only hope that FTTH will make it here one day, hopefully not done by BT as we all 'love' them so much