cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What type of extension lead do i need?

N/A

Im gonna get adsl in my bedroom and thats like 15m away from the the phone socket. On my standard 56k internert i just use a long extension wire. Do i use the same type of wire or do i have to buy a special ADSL extension wire? :?:
9 REPLIES
N/A

People have always used a standard phone extension cable, but, just recently, there are others who say this is not reliable for ADSL.

Personally, I'd rather put an Ethernet ADSL router right next to the phone socket and either a) run an Ethernet cable to your bedroom or b) make your router wireless. The disadvantage of b) is that you'll have to set it up using a wired connection anyway.
pcorker
Grafter

My el-cheapo extension is about 8m long and works OK
Pat
N/A

First thing is - just try the current extension cable. If that doesn't work, then you'll need to look into it further.

The "flat wire" type of extension cables can give problems with ADSL if your signal is already marginal, this is due to the extra losses this type of cable has.
Look for extensions that are "twisted wire". You may have to pay a little more for these, but they will give less trouble.
At a 15meter run, you will have to make sure the extension cable is of good quality (twisted as mentioned) and does not run near possible sources of electronic interference (TV's, flourescent lights, etc).
The best option is to either use cat5 network cable as your extension (you will have to make on up with the relative plug/socket - not for the unknowledgable) or, as has been mentioned, to have a modem router near the master socket and run the network cable the 15m to your PC. I am not a fan of wireless, especially over 15m through walls, floors and interference.
michaelscott
Grafter

I'm going through a 10m 'flat wire' extension lead with a hand-made join in the cable. I get no less speed through it than I do when connected to the main socket.
N/A

ok ok so what is a flatwire cable

sorry if i sound stupid
N/A

Flatwire is how it sounds, flat!

It can be used to run under carpets and such. it is less likely to damage as it doesn't shift shape when pressure is applied
N/A

I'm going through a 10m 'flat wire' extension lead with a hand-made join in the cable. I get no more speed through it than I do when connected to the main socket.

I think you mean "no less speed".

I also said "when the signal is marginal". That means high attenuation and low SNR. If you have a good signal, any phone extension cable may do.
N/A

check this site some info ere.:
http://www.adslguide.org/qanda.asp?faq=HomeNet

How can I extend the cable from my ADSL socket?
An RJ11 extension lead is what you need. If a BT engineer visits your premesis (some products are engineer assisted), it is possible to request up to 30m of cable to be installed from the master socket.

If your DSL is wires only, Comet sell a suitable RJ11 lead in an extension drum that is 10m long for £8.99 (+P&P)

michaelscott
Grafter

I think you mean "no less speed".

Yes, I do Cheesy (edited)