cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to buy?

N/A

What to buy?

I guess this might be a pretty dumb question, but as I'm new here, and only just connected to PlusNet ADSL, basic service, not 1 or 2 meg (my line is too far away from the local exchange) I'm using the supplied Binatone ADSL500 USB modem, which keeps refusing to connect, either by saying modem busy, or some such, so I need to keep restarting PC so it finds the thing.
So, my question, what ADSL modem or router combi do you good people recomend?
I hope to buy as soon as possible, to replace this Binatone thing, so a very big thanks in advance to everyone
Cheers,
Dave.
5 REPLIES
N/A

What to buy?

If you're wanting to connect more than one computer, I'd recommend the D-Link DSL-504 router. I had a few issues with this, but they're all now fixed with a firmware upgrade.
Community Veteran

What to buy?

What windows version are you running?

If it's XP have you installed Service Pack 1 (SP1) as that modem requires it for correct operation.

As for what to buy, too many to chose from so can't recommend anything specific. The one you have should work fine.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

What to buy?

As above, I would first try and fix the problem with the existing
modem, check your filters, connect back to the master socket
and see if there's any difference. If your motherboard uses a via
chipset then update the drivers at the Via website.
You say that you are some distance from your exchange
and this might end up as the cause, so in this case
I would say choose anything from the Alcatel range,
their USB and PCI modem work well in these situations,
better still their single port ethernet modem/router would be
ideal. If you want a bit of future proofing to enable a
network then go for the four port router.
http://www.speedtouch.co.uk/
Neondaze
Grafter

What to buy?

If you definately decide you wish to replace the USB modem then I would recommend the SMC Barricade 7404BRA. This ADSL Modem/router has 4 ethernet ports and a print server.
I set up this modem here 2 weeks ago. Was very easy to do, the documentation supplied was very clear and easy to follow.
On top of all that it works a dream Smiley
N/A

What to buy?

The cheapest and indeed the best for a single puter is a PCI card I have 2. An efficient Networks 3060 (Alcatel chipset) which cost £13.50 inc postage on ebay and a Allieddate 805 Tornado (Texas chipset) Both never drop the connection and are excellent.