cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What software do you connect with?

N/A

Good morning

Just got connected to plusnet Cheesy . Just wondering what software you use to connect, I'm having to use the 'Binatone ADSL500 USB Modem Login' Internet shortcut.

Don't you have the two tv's icon in the system tray like freeserve do?

Thanks

Mark.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I think Freeserve use their own dialling software so they control if the icon is seen or not. Were you on 56k dialup before - in which case the icon is shown when you dialup. For ADSL this is not normally needed because ADSL is an 'always on' connection so it should connect as soon as you start your PC.

What windows version are you using?

If XP by default, the icon is not shown for networking devices- start->control panel->network connections. Right click and select properties on your network connection -> tick 'show icon in notification when connected' and click OK.
N/A

Yes, I'm using WIn XP. Just wondered about the connection software, pity about that, still never mind.

But having the network connections icon doesn't show what speed one is connected at still, it just says 10Mbps or something like that Wink .
Community Veteran

You are always connected at the same speed and depends on the service you selected on registration: 512k/1Meg/2Meg etc. It's not like a dialup 56k modem where the speed is negotiated depending on line conditions.

Throughput is a different matter and depends on other users on the exchange - the 50:1 or 20:1 contension you have depending on the service selected.

It should not say 10Megs, that's only for network cards and you are using a USB modem, unless you also have a net card fitted for ICS.
N/A

Thanks for the reply, no network card fitted here. Smiley
csogilvie
Grafter

I think I heard somewhere that the Binatone 500 modem acts like a network card which may explain the speed.