cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the latest on the regrades?

N/A

The regrade schedule - the one that was subject to change, but doesn't seem to have - reported that my exchange was a 'trial' exchange, which means an April regrade doesn't it?

Although the PlusNet exchange checker tool suggests that there is only one DSLAM at my exchange, and that I'm on it, there are two entries for it in BT's schedule. The second entry was scheduled for May. It's now June, and I'm still on 512kps, so I'm wondering what the latest news about this is?

I'm pretty sure I can get a 2mb/s connection, at least, going by my router's figures:

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 37.8 31.0 dB
Line Attenuation 40.4 27.0 dB

Yes, I know it's probably BT's fault, but I was just wondering if anybody knew anything extra.
5 REPLIES
N/A

As usual BT are dragging their feet, it seems that since oftel is jumping on them when they are overtly obstructive to independent ISP's they now have the attitude "If you're not with us then we'll take our time".
I'm in the same boat as you(512), waiting for something that everyone else in my town already has while paying the same rate as i would for 2mb.
Frankly i'm feeling a little let down. It wouldn't be so bad if PN reduced my payments for instance, or allowed me to cancel my contract so that i could start another at 2mb with no extra charge. I feel like i'm caught in a loophole and am getting no reward for my loyalty.
Makes me wonder how much PN value my custom when they can see that i'm unhappy with the situation but still hold me to a contract for a service they no longer offer.
N/A

I have had a reply from PN and they stated
"Firstly, we are still in the process of carrying out these upgrades. Though as I'm sure you can imagine, upgrading almost a hundred thousand connections is going to take longer than a month. As such, the work isn't expected to be complete untill the end of July. That said, your connection should be upgraded sometime before the end of this month."

I know that most people have probably had this reply but it was the second paragraph that concerns me, please read on

"Secondly, the account that you are currently on will only run at 512k, due to the fact that it was never designed to run at higher speeds. As such, to obtain a higher speed you would have to switch to one of the new packages. This is true whether or not you were paying for the speed upgrade, or taking advantage of the free upgrades."

Are they saying that even when we are upgraded free of charge that we are not going to see any change becuase of the package we are on won't allow it? I feel as if they are forcing me to change to a package they want me to have. To top it all I have just moved house and had to pay nearly £70 to relocate. I think that PN is going down the pan and that there are alot of other ISP's that can provide a better service for cheaper, but I am caught in that trap!!! Sad
N/A

Well, presumably they were talking about your account specifically. You may be in a position where your line quality (attenuation and sound-to-noise ratio) stops the connection from going above 512kps. But having said that, switching to a new package wouldn't help, so that can't be it.

I don't understand; I may ask them myself.
Community Veteran

"Secondly, the account that you are currently on will only run at 512k, due to the fact that it was never designed to run at higher speeds. As such, to obtain a higher speed you would have to switch to one of the new packages. This is true whether or not you were paying for the speed upgrade, or taking advantage of the free upgrades."

I suspect that you are probably on a 512 home install account going from your signup date?
If so then you need to change to the premier up to 2Mb acount which you can do for free.
I have done that a few weeks ago in readyness for my exchange being upgraded. Smiley
N/A

As per Johns statement, the Home 512Kb package is very specificly titled.

The move to premier 2Mb is free and incurs the same monthly charge. you also get Virus & Spam filtering thrown in with this package, at no extra cost.