cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the advantage of new over old modem?

N/A

I was wondering what would be an advantage of buying a new ADSL modem over an old one. This is for a normal home PC which is not on any network? My old Speedtouch USB modem works fine and can support speeds up to 8mb. I don't think it restricts my connection or what I can do with the connection in a any way. It has been discontinued for some time now so I'm wondering what improvement a new modem will have that will benifit me?
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I depends on whether you are talking about getting a new USB modem or getting a router with inbuilt modem connected via Ethernet?

Just replacing a USB modem with another USB modem will gain you nothing. Changing it for an ADSL modem/router can mean adding additional security like a hardware firewall and (using a network card in your PC) taking away the processing needed by the CPU to run USB devices by using Ethernet connection to your PC instead of USB. A router also deals with connecting your ADSL line so it will always be available when you switch your PC on - you don't have to manyally dial or click an icon to connect.

ADSL modem/routers are more expensive but they tend to be a lot more reliable and ping time can often be less for gaming as well.
N/A

I was just just interested to know what would i gain by just changing to a newer model with exactly the same features as the old one and no router in mind. It seems like I would gain nothing.

Don't fix it if it's aint broken