cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's stopping me reaching my full potential??

N/A

I was 'Maxed' 9 days ago (yes I know this is within the 14 day 'settling' period).
I live very close to the exchange and have very good statistics:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 8.0 db 4.0 db
Noise Margin 10.6 db 22.0 db

Although I have never noticed any disconnections, I have re-powered my router on a number of occasions.

The problem I have is that I seem to be capped at my old 2Mbps connection speed. I have completed numerous BT speed tests at every possible time of the day and night and they consistantly tell me my download speed is 1955Kbps. The Plusnet MSR page tells me I am being supplied with a 8000kbps connction and obviously the sync speed is very good.

Has anyone any idea what the problem may be :?:
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Sounds like the BT Bras has not been updated which is a common BT problem with Max.

You will have to wait until your trialling period has completed and if you are still getting the low speeds you have to raise a question and get it investigated.

You are not alone with having this problem.
N/A

Thank you for your help, I will wait and see what happens.

On a slightly different subject, I did try to follow the Automated help process on the Help & Support page. I went through all the stages filling in the answers to the various questions - even pausing for 24 hours while I did the BT speed checks. I filled in the last question, pressed 'submit' and then got: 'Plusnet are unable to deal with your request at this moment - please try again later'!! So much for Automated help!!
N/A

Re: What's stopping me reaching my full potential??

I've had exactly the same issues; maxed for more than 2 weeks, sync at 8128, MSR 8000, close to exchange, good line stats but only about 2000 download. Have a look on usenet: plusnet.service.customer-feedback and the thread (started by me) "14 days after maxed!".

I did some MTU and RWin tweaks as advised there and, lo and behold, my downlaod speed has more than doubled. It may just be coincidence of course, and there may even be better to come!
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Coedana, I would like to read the info to which you refer, however, I don't know how to find it. Can you be more specific?

Many thanks.....Noel
N/A

I'd look and see if you stable rate is still set at 2000
-------
Delta reports from BT indicate you can achieve a full up to 8MB throughput.

There arent many which would also indicate that the line is pretty stable.

I'm not sure why this has not resulted in the correct profile being assigned to your account (this was actually set at standard 2MB, not even MAX) so I have corrected this, and a reboot of your router should see higher speeds coming through.

Regards,
CS
---------
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

Regards
Dave
N/A

Coedana, I would like to read the info to which you refer, however, I don't know how to find it. Can you be more specific?

Many thanks.....Noel

You'll need to use a usenet client (Outlook Express will do it, although it's better to use a dedicated one like Forte Agent). You'll need to enter PN's server name: <text.usenet.plus.net> and start by getting all available newsgroups. Then find the plusnet groups, select the ones you want (include plusnet.service.customer-feedback) and (I suggest) mark them as "subscribed". Then select the ones for which you want bodies (I suggest mark them to be watched).

Good luck!
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Many thanks, Coedana.......

Noel
N/A

dillons,

thanks for looking at this for me. I have re-booted my router, but unfortunately I still seem to be stuck at 2Mbps.

What should I do now?

I have tried the suggestions from Coedana, - but that didn't do anything - thank you anyway.
N/A

I'd wait out the training period then if there's no improvement raise a question with Customer Support under the help and support section.

Dave
N/A

I have the same hassle.

I use a dg632 with latest firmware

you?
N/A

Right looked up so info:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl2.htm
"With Datastream products, BTw will collate the relevant information but not send it over to the bRAS since this equipment is owned by the DS provider. Instead the information is sent in a report to the DS ISPs so that they can apply the speed to their own bRAS. Once the 10 days have passed BT will also advise the DS provider the stable rate."

"its not uncommon for some users to find that they have been profiled at 2Mb speeds for anything up to the full 10 days."

"Personal observations tend to show that it is the better lines that seem to have a delay in setting the Data Rate on the bRAS profile and are "stuck" with their old 2Mb speed possibly because their SNR is better and they suffer from fewer fluctuations, therefore it takes longer for the kit to realise that a change has occurred. :/"
N/A

I have always achieved near full speed on the 2meg and have never had dropouts. I presume that because I have never had dropouts when upgraded to 8 meg then my line simply was not noticed. My only problem in that case is why am I only achieving speeds of 2 - 3 meg after upgrade. Could it be that I am now on another training period and my line speed will increase?

Dave