cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's happened to the PN speed chcker?

N/A

I'm getting HUGE speeds reported. Is it broken, or is something wrong at my end?
11 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Works OK for me.

What do you mean by huge?
N/A

What speed are you getting?
Its very possible (or even likely) that you've been victim of an upgrade!.
PN have had issues with e-mail over the last few days, so its possible that you haven't heard anything about it yet...
N/A

920 kbps ADSL 1000
1840 kbps ADSL 2000
25788 kbps YOU

I'm pretty sure I'm not 15 times faster than I was last week on 2MB : Cheesy

Especially when www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp tells me I'm on a more sensible 4MB !
N/A

Hmmm, does sound spurious! Can't imagine anybody getting those speeds, unless you have been moved to LLU, but even then you'd probably need a pretty decent router to get to that speed (and have a fab line!)
The adslguide one sounds more realistic.
How many times did you run the PN one? were the results consistent?
N/A

Actually, I've run it a few times over last week. All very, very fast speeds.
N/A

Nice!

Since regrade mine went from 1800 to 3300 but now its around the 500 mark. Back to the days when I first had ADSL Sad
N/A

920 kbps ADSL 1000
1840 kbps ADSL 2000
25788 kbps YOU

I had crazy results like that back in April. Either ridiculously, impossibly, high, or absolute zero.

Now it seems to be making sense, but I've been maxed at some unknown time this month when I was away, my pn stable rate was reported as 2000 yesterday and 2500 today but my modem reports a 3218 dl and 448 up speed. In reality my file download is slower than before though, but that could be congestion.
shellsong
Grafter

Even ADSL2+ has a limit of 24Mbps so I'm afraid the speedtester is 'avin' a larf! Wink
N/A

I've had a few strange ones.

261447kbps on 9th May and just now 307.69 mbps (no that's not a typo).

I'm on MaxDSL at around 6-8k only and certainly not LLU'd.
N/A

Many speed tests require you to have cleared the cache from your internet browser.

If the speed test web site has been previously visited, what can happen sometimes is the resulting test ends up showing the speed of access to the cache folder instead of the site over the internet.
N/A

My cache is cleared every time I close my browser, and I clear it manually after visiting secure sites.
First time I used the speed tester today.

153.85 Mbps

Which means you can download at 19.23 MB/sec. from our servers.

I wish. Smiley

Most of the time it makes sense, but I do not like having to disable my software firewall to run it.

This tester gave me a much more sensible result, as does the adsl guide one, and neither require some software firewalls to be disabled in order to run.

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk