cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's a Gigabyte

grwjs

What's a Gigabyte

Using the Usage stats, I've calculated that Plusnet thinks 1000Mb is 1Gb.
Is that rightHuhHuh?
8 REPLIES
N/A

What's a Gigabyte

Hi and welcome to the forums.

This has been discussed many times over the years. Plus Net like most other isp's and some of the IT hardware industry, use 1000Mb as 1Gb.

This is normal, common and standard practice.
grwjs

What's a Gigabyte

I suppose that like myself very few people know what is standard practice. Shockedops:

In this Internet Age it is difficult to find information like this without participating in forum discussions. Any chance that PlusNet can include such data on its bandwidth usage pages. :roll:
N/A

What's a Gigabyte

as far as i'm aware it does. i think i remember seeing it somewhere but cant quite remember where
N/A

What's a Gigabyte

didnt the "net" rename 1000meg to somthing like a gigabittle or sommthing, (was close to gigabyte but note) as they did with each "1000" mark
Community Veteran

What's a Gigabyte

AFAIK :

1000 bits = 1 kilobit
1024 bits = 1 kilobyte
N/A

What's a Gigabyte

the scientific industry decided that mega/kilo/etc was for powers of ten, so kilo means x,000 and mega means x,000,000, etc

To counter this the little known terms such as mebiByte, kibiByte, gibiByte were introduced.

For more reading see here.
N/A

What's a Gigabyte

no7oliver : a kilobit and a kilobyte are totaly different things. there are 8 bits in a byte. thus a kilobit would be 1024 bits, whereas a kilobyte is 1024 bytes
Community Veteran

What's a Gigabyte