cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is an ethernet modem?

worcsdave
Grafter

Can anyone shed some light for me please? I am buying a new Mac computer, and in order to connect to the internet, they say I need a modem with an 'ethernet' connection.
I already connect to the internet using a Bintaone Broadband modem supplied by PlusNet. How can I tell whether this is an ethernet modem? It's something to do with the connection that plugs into the computer - am I close?!
Any advice gratefully received.
4 REPLIES
N/A

Its just a different way to connect. My modem router connects via ethernet. I doubt the binatone modem has any ethernet ports on it
N/A

Buy a router M8, I would assume the mac has a network card built in and the connection then would be via a ethernet connection.

Laters
iashton
Grafter

If its a new Mac you'll have the choice of Ethernet or Wireless.

I've used Netgear kit with no problems.
DG834 [4 port Ethernet] is about £ 45
DG834G [4 port Ethernet +Wireless] is about £60
DG834PN[ 4 port Ethernet + Wireless ] is about £92

All from Amazon.co.uk. All have a firewall build in as well.
N/A

As the others have said, it's better to get an ADLS Modem Router rather than a modem. You'll find it's more versatile, and you may be able to share your internet connection between more computers. Have a look at Netgear, LinkSys and DLink, just to think of a few brand names. Your current modem is plugged into the USB socket, and it really relies on Windows in order to function, so it's not going to help you with a Mac! If your current computer has a network socket on it then you'd be able to connect both from a router.