cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is an RDF/RDNF? (i.e. relates to surfing anonymously)

N/A

Someone told me that when you (or your Router) connect to the Internet , PlusNet assigns you an RDF (RDNF?) which can be interrogated by the web sites you visit and also possibly by hackers trying to get in to your Router. For example, I'm told that if your PlusNet username is Dellboy, the RDF/RDNF would be dellboy.plus.com

Can anyone tell me any more about this? Does this happen with all ISPs?

Thanks,
Malcolm
5 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

For an idea about Resource Description Framework see this link.

I think someone is winding you up or not giving you the facts.
N/A

I think you mean rDNS.
N/A

Now that makes sense.!!!!!!!!

Irrespective of whether you have a static or dynamic IP or rDNS, your activities online can be tracked.

Thats why you need firewalls and system security. Online activity without a firewall is asking for trouble. The allocation of an IP address however it is done is necessary but if your security is tight you should have few issues.
N/A

And all it gives will be your static IP address which isn't much news to anyone.

I can either get your IP address by a reverse lookup or straight from your IP packets src address...

No security risk really.

Also most hackers will scan an entire IP address range so catching you whether or not they know your ip address... the bigger threat is the user agent string your browser sends out - this gives any hackers a clue as to your OS, browser etc.

(Note: I know using techinques such as os fingerprinting you can derive the os so again this isn't really a threat).

In short don't lose any sleep over it.
N/A

Duh!! I should have realised it was rDNS - thanks to everyone for your help.