cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What have I done to deserve this now?

N/A

I give up. A few months ago I had a nice stable 2mb connection, then I was moved onto maxadsl, now I find under my "high speed" (What a joke) tab that the line has mysteriously dropped to being able to support only 1.5mb!

Checking my router tells me im syncing at 3.7mb

Last month the maximum line speed was 3.7mb so I accepted that, now the speed has mysteriously dropped but the sync rate has stayed the same? BT tell me via their broadband checker the line will support 3mb

Please, what have I done to you? I seem to be the victim of cock up after cock up and Im starting to lose my patience.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Welcome to the joys of MaxDSL :?

Basically your router has resynced at a lower level (more likely twice) in the past few days and BT have reduced your profile accordingly, they do this within 75 minutes of seeing a lower sync rate. When you sync higher (as you are now) it will then take BT 3 -> 5 days to raise your data rate (seen under high speed broadband) o match the higher sync rate.

Nothing you can do about this unfortunately as its the way BT have designed the system, unlike LLU (which I am on) where your data rate is your sync rate at all times.
James
Grafter

Hi Mark,

As Peter says, welcome to the joys of maxdsl and line flappage.

At 6:30pm on the 19th, your router resynced at 1728Kbps, hence BT assigning you are profile of 1500Kbps.

You are now syncing at 4288Kbps, so assuming that you have maintained that speed over the last couple of days, you should be back onto a 3500Kbps profile at some stage over the weekend.
N/A

Why does BT say my line supports 3mb if they then decide to lower it to 1.5mb? That seems retarded.

One thing I have noticed though is that web pages are loading a lot quicker?

Whats even stranger is that I can litterally see the exchange im connected to from my house. My phoneline must strech to the next village and back...
Community Veteran

What BT say on their site is a guide, not a guarantee and as you can see you are actually now syncing at a higher rate than they say!

In any case Max is an adaptive connection and will adapt the speed to match the line conditions, which can vary over the day and be affected by weather conditions resulting in different sync rates and thus different throughput speeds. I often find my SNR drops during the evening and was lower during the winter months due to temperature effects on the copper wire.

There is nothing you can do to stop this happening as its just the physics of using copper wire in this country.

As I said earlier, that is how BT have implemented ADSL, if your sync rate drops, so does your throughput and BT take 3 -> 5 days to catch up again when you sync higher. With LLU there is no profile changes, the speed you sync at is the speed you get. If you suddenly get a low sync rate you just reboot and get a higher one and your throughput speed is set straight away.
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

As you can see by my previous post i am having probably worse problems but what really annoys me about this is BT can drop you like a stone in 75 minutes but then take 3-5 days to put you back up again or in my case currently about 8 days and counting.
N/A

I suppose I should be grateful, a friend of mine on the same exchange has had his turned off through no fault of his own. He has been told to ring back in three days to speak to a BT department...

Im still unsure of why bandwidth has been throttled when through put and current sync rate suggest it should be higher.
N/A

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 4736 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1472 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Ok, now what? I appear to be on a 3mb profile and still have throughput of less than 1.5mb.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Have you tried tweaking the MTU and RWIn settings. How to guide can be found in a sticky at the top of this forum. Solved my speed issues on my laptop, probably worth a try.
James
Grafter

Hi Mark,

Your profile at our and BT's end are matching so I'd suggest that the MTU/RWin advice is definitely something worth trying.
N/A

Thanks guys. It now appears that my download speed is 2.7mb, which is slowly improving!

A neighbour of mine is on Orange and is getting 6mb downloads speeds.. :?

We are on a relatively new pair to the exchange as our original wires were cut thanks to council workers putting in a streetlight.