cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What has happened to plusnet?

N/A

Having been away from home at university for just over a year, I returned to find plusnet has gone from 5 stars service to 0 star. Download speeds suck, web browsing is next to impossible, I can't use ftp, can't play games online, support are rude and unhelpful. I can only advise anyone thinking of getting broadband through plusnet to think again. Sad :x

PS I want my MAC Code
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It would be most helpful to the community if you posted what product you are on, what your peak time usage is along with any other relevant information such as modem or router stats.

For example, if you are on the broadband plus product and your peak usage is 4Gb or more then it is most likely that the connection is being managed.

There are other factors to consider too, for example if you are on the IPstream Max product, your profile could be wrong, and many other variables.

So, what I'm getting at is, help us to help you and give us specifics, and we'll see if we can help.

Regards,
Roger.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Roger,

pfoxon is stating a general fact that PN is going downhill fast. He doesn't appear to be complaining about any one single item but having a general rant about PN generally (like I do). You've tried to distract the issue by asking other questions and trying to draw the attention away from it for others that read this topic.

To be honest, I totally agree with pfoxon too.

@pfoxon:
3 words describe PN m8: 'crash and burn'
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
N/A

sorry for the rant, just had a very unhelpful call to support.

I’m on the broadband plus, I have just passed the 4gb limit (few days till end of month) but connection has been slow for last 3 weeks. I moved from bulldog (at other house) and am not used to waiting for a web page to load. I don’t really download anything big and cant see how I’ve hit the limit. My router has always worked fine. A friend in the area who is also with plusnet is also not best pleased with his connection. Think i will be changing provider unless it gets better

:x
Community Veteran

A friend in the area who is also with plusnet is also not best pleased with his connection. Think i will be changing provider unless it gets better

What a surprise... Bet the boys are PN are shocked too Wink

/sarcasm
N/A

I sympethise - I hit a record 27kbps this evening :roll:
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

What has happened is that Plusnet have eventually got their act together and now manage users who go over the allowances for the product they are on more actively. This is to ensure that their activities do not slow things down for the light users who are well within the allowances.

You either need to ensure that you are on a correct product for your requirements, or find an alternative supplier.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

What a load of bull, even I am blushing at it Shockedops:

What has happened is that Plusnet is trying to make a quick buck out of the (long gone) reputation as a good ISP. They are cutting the bandwidth and at the same time trying to increase the number of subscribers. This in theory could work but only if majority of subscribers would be stupid enough to put up with cra*y service.
I am by no means a heavy bandwidth user. Every now and again I download something and I am not paying to wait for the 300Mb file a whole day to download. I am on 8Mb line and the best I get is 50Kbps, which is just ridiculous. BTW, I have not downloaded more than a couple of Gigs in the last few months and don't see how I am clogging the system.
Oh, well... I am voting with my feet and my mouth, nobody I know or will meet in the future will ever be a Plus Net customer, I will do my best and beyond to prevent them from being the same sucker like me. Been with Plus Net for more than I care to remember (5-6 years roughly) but now the time has come to find someone who will appreciate my custom.
Sad but true..... Sad

[Moderator's note by chillypenguin: Full quote of the previous post removed.]
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

They are cutting the bandwidth

We have actually increased the amount of bandwidth to our customers by adding more capacity.

If you are having speed problems, let us know otherwise we can't do anything about it.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

Though we only have your words that you've increased it... we don't actually have a way of knowing if this is true.
holdtight
Grafter

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

Very similar to what I was looking for, I think that shows the 3 new segments being added since the 23rd February. Thanks holdtight Tongue
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

There's also additional capacity not shown on there for the PAYG users who are on the RIN trial.
Community Veteran

Very similar to what I was looking for, I think that shows the 3 new segments being added since the 23rd February. Thanks holdtight Tongue

Anything you want to know, it's always worth checking Kitz first! Wink
N/A

yeah right....

It that was the case they wouldn't try to throttle the speed on downloads. They may have increased their capacity but that doesn't mean anything, all I care is how fast I can download. If all additional capacity is being saved for gamers and surfers only that's not good to me at all. Never mind the numbers and statistics all I know is how shi77y MY download speed is!

gone gone gone....