cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What future speed?

N/A

What future speed?

Hi,

Like most on this forum, I am now impatiently waiting for my line upgrade to DSLMax (exchange now enabled).

I have looked at a couple of websites to estimate the bandwidth that my line wil be supporting once the regrade is completed, and get two very different results.

One site indicates a maximum speed of 1092 kbps, the other states anything between 2.1 and 2.8 Mbps.

Line condition is as follows:

Speed 576 kbps
Atten 63 db
SNR 15 db (downstream)

What will it be in your view? 1 Meg or 2 Meg+? (Interestingly the BT Broadband website now indicates 1 Meg or above).

Thanks
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What future speed?

Who knows.

The only one that will is the RAMBO box on your line when it tries it's best to get the maximum speed.

You will just have to be patient and wait and see.
N/A

What future speed?

Thanks Peter, unfortunately patience is not a virtue of mine :-)
N/A

What future speed?

Using this calc..

http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

It says when MaxDSL arrives you should expect 1MB. You must live in the middle of nowhere hehe
N/A

What future speed?

Well, 5.6 km away from the exchange unfortunately, looks like I'll need to wait for disruptive technology beyond DSL to get the fast speeds that seem promised to 80%+ of the UK population Sad
N/A

What future speed?

If you can get on a cheap ADSL and then combine it with a Satellite Broadband (such as the one BT is proposing) you could get 2MB or 4MB download speeds. But you require either 56k, ISDN or ADSL for uploading, the satellite only takes care of the download speeds you see.

I am not sure of the price, about £25-30 a month I would guess, but that combined with a cheap £15 Broadband for uploading would get you a nice connection with probably better stability and no capping. A bit pricey but as I see it, its the only way some people will get good speeds without moving house heh Sad

-----

Oh well just looked around and it seems BT will only do 1MBs BB over satellite. This will probably get higher in the future, I am trying to find other companies offering such a service but they are expecting £500 a month lol
N/A

What future speed?

You could get 1 gig if they change IP

see

http://netlab.caltech.edu/FAST/index.html
N/A

What future speed?

Thanks for your inputs guys, looks like all is not lost after all.