cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What downstream figure indicates a 2Mb connection?

Philbert
Grafter

I've bought a regrade from a 512kb Business to a 2Mb residential. I've been advised to check my router's (DG814) status to see when the upgrade is complete, so I checked to see what the current (I assumed 512kb) setting is.

The router's Gateway Status comes up with
Down Stream: 2272 Kb/s
Up Stream: 288 Kb/s

That downstream figure looks suspiciously like 2Mb to me, and I'm fairly sure it was something like 512kb before... However, I'm seeing no difference in actual download terms, which continue to hover around 60kb/s (according to NetStat Live) for any application. And my account settings still shows my original set-up (ADSL NetStart Self-Install) in place.

Soooo... Would anyone care to suggest what downstream figure I should be expecting to see when the regrade is functional OR - if that's what the status is already showing - suggestions as to why I'm not seeing any difference at all in practical terms...

Thanks!
8 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Yes, that indicates that BT have done the upgrade and you are syncing at 2Mb.
If you run a speed test and it shows 512k still, then give Pn a call and ask them to unthrottle your connection.
Should take about three minutes.

What's happened is that they haven't yet heard from BT about the upgrade, so their system still thinks you're on 512.
Philbert
Grafter

Thank you very much, g., not least for answering within 20 minutes of my posting here, whereas my query to Plusnet support reamained unattended for over 24 hours, until I did as you suggested.

After some confusion, thinking I was requesting an upgrade rather than asking about one already implemented, I was finally assured my connection speed would be unthrottled.

Sure enough my connection speed (according to Plusnet's own test) has risen from around 60kb/s to.....

66.83 KB/sec.

Not exactly blistering, eh?

I've raised a further enquiry on that ticket but I'm not holding my breath...

Thanks again for your help.
Philbert
Grafter

Apparently there 'appears to be a problem', hence the delay. No details or predictions though...
N/A

Im having the same problems, 2.2 meg downloading at 62.23 KB/sec?
not quite right
Philbert
Grafter

Turns out because I'm going from a business to residential account the system just isn't set up to handle that without managerial attention. Why none of the people who were supposed to be dealing with this were able to either figure it out or actually action this to management I have no idea.
Anyway, the last guy I spoke to actually did so, and my account has now been officially changed to Premier 2Mb.
Though 30 minutes later I'm still seeing exactly the same download speeds as before - 60kb/s - and I don't know how long the change is supposed to take to translate into an actual speed increase...
N/A

You have re-booted your router/modem havent you?? :roll:

I did the same switch as you, and no problems (except it took 2 weeks) lol
Philbert
Grafter

Ummm... I could do, and I will, except that it's showing a 2Mb feed already. I'd rather think it's Plusnet not actually allowing the data transfer rate to rise. I'll give it a go, though...
Philbert
Grafter

Rebooting modem did nothing, until I contacted Plusnet again and found that having sorted out my account type with a mananger, my set-up was left capped at 512kb... :?

That now looks sorted. Speed tests indicate a download speed of 214Kb/s (Plusnet) / 191.1 KB/sec (ADSL guide), which isn't too far away from the mark. I'll be reviewing tweaks to see if there's anything I've missed.

Anyway, moral of the story, as far as I can tell:

Don't just wait if nothing seems to be happening: raise a ticket and if you don't get a reply within a few hours (don't hold your breath), phone Plusnet (max on-hold I had was about 3 mins, not bad) and discuss it. Don't assume the last person you spoke to will actually look after your account settings to the point where they work: presumably they're soon distracted by someone else's enquiry, so if nothing's changed after a few hours, call back and see if you can get it to the next stage. Apart from one person who didn't really seem very focussed, Plusnet's staff came over as courteous and helpful.