cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does this mean?

kosh2
Grafter

What does this mean?

PN has whoosh tested my line and given me the following, saying it is a marginal line. What do these actual figures mean and is it worth talking to BT?

Circuit In Sync

Upstream xDSL Link Info

Loop Loss 36 dB

Cell Count 130

Downstream xDSL Link Info

Loop Loss 57 dB

Cell Count 1357
4 REPLIES
N/A

What does this mean?

First off, it isn't worth talking to BT. There is nothing they can or will do to help you.

BT Retail (the people that you pay for your phone line) do not deal in ADSL queries.

It is BT Wholesale that supply ADSL. These will only talk to there customers, of which only ISPs are there customers.

As such, the only people you can possibly talk to about this, are your ISP.

The actual output suggests are long line, with the possability of supporting upto 1Mb. It would not however support 2Mb.
LiamM
Grafter

What does this mean?

The maximum Loop Loss (Line Attenuation) for 1Mb is 60dB. Therefore, your downstream loop loss of 57dB is close.

It's not worth talking to BT since it's a different department entirely that deal with ADSL provisioning, and these are not customer-facing.
kosh2
Grafter

Line Gain

I have read somewhere that I shoud check in line gain is on or off. As this will improve the situation. What do you think?
N/A

What does this mean?

Line gain will have been switched off as part of the ADSL Installation process, so is a null issue.

You could check this with BT if you wish, but it could confuse matters.