cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you do with your 4 static IP's ?

N/A

Curious to know the setup of others using multiple IP address, whats assigned to what etc etc Smiley

Yours nosy,

Leon Wink
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

4 IP addresses can be a little limiting. 1 address is used for the router, 1 for network and one for broadcast, so if you want to use that additional address you basically need to assign it to a machine and run NAT from there, unless you have arouter that will let you run NAT from its address and keep the 4th IP for another machine.

Chris
N/A

I use it. It's useful if you want your machine to have a Internet IP address rather that a NAT one when using a router.

Gareth.
N/A

@Sambucus - i think what your doing can be achieved with the dmz host option on most routers ?

@fa55dsl - I think you have given me an answer I like Smiley - Looking at my routers web interface in no great detail, I believe I can forward one (the 4th) IP address to one of my machines, and have the router provide NAT to the other machines on the network.

Leon Smiley
N/A

eeore,

I actually have 8 addresses (6 usable) and "pipe" then directly to my firewall with my router in passthrough configuration.

I used to however have 4 and did the same, but doing the Nat'ing on my firewall.

Depends what your after I guess.

Kind regards
Gareth
N/A

eeore,

I actually have 8 addresses (6 usable) and "pipe" then directly to my firewall with my router in passthrough configuration.

I used to however have 4 and did the same, but doing the Nat'ing on my firewall.

Depends what your after I guess.

Kind regards
Gareth

I assume then you are on a business package which allows you to have 8 ?
csogilvie
Grafter

The router does NAT for its IP between two computers and the other IP is set to forward all traffic to a third machine.
N/A

[
I assume then you are on a business package which allows you to have 8 ?

Yes, I had to upgrade to get this function. Mind you, it does now give me a 20:1 contension ratio.

I believe that if you request to change to 4 static ip's on a home setup, they will do it for you.

Cheers
Gareth.
N/A

Yes, not sure of the difference in price right now but certainly seems ok Smiley

I have been allocated 4 IP's just got to wait for migration which is tomorrow.

Bit surprised to see they only offer 4 to home customers when others offer 8, but never mind Wink

Maybe i will migrate to a business package one day when I have some money !

Leon
N/A

As you can see from my joined date, i've been with PlusNet over three years. Cheesy

The first package I had was a Business 500 with a BT supplied router. This came to a whopping £110 a month. :shock: I now pay less than half that and I also get a few quid off for recomending a few friends to PlusNet.

BTW, if you do decide to migrate, it is a disconnect and reconnect as it is different hardware in the exchange. You will also need to complete a RIFE form explaining why you require the extra ip addresses. I was Very impressed that PlusNet have provided them free of change when others charge quite a bit extra. I priced up other major ISP's and PlusNet was £20 cheaper.... Smiley Smiley

I'm a very happy PlusNet customer... :!:
Gareth
N/A

Ive already completed a RIPE form, and the ip addresses will be "actioned" once my migration (tomorrow) is done Smiley