cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do the numbers mean

N/A

What do the numbers mean

No, nothing X-files like.

Having purchased a Zyxel Prestige 643 as my hardware of choice long over a year ago, I have never looked back.

There are a few bits that I don't like about it, but I can live without them, as they can often be done using software, or nly get used on a very limtied basis.

One of the things that has allways confused me is the output given for noise levels.

relative capacity occupation: 39%
noise margin upstream: 25.0 db
output power downstream: 20.0 dbm
attenuation upstream: 18.5 db

relative capacity occupation: 10%
noise margin downstream: 30.5 db
output power upstream: 10.0 dbm
attenuation downstream: 32.5 db

I know I am well within the bondries of getting 1mb, but can anybody explain the figures a little more.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What do the numbers mean

Hi Phil
Dont understand the relative capacity occupation: 39% but the others I can perhaps enlighten you on.

noise margin upstream: 25.0 db
This is telling you that the upstream signal is 25db higher than the ambient noise level.

output power downstream: 20.0 dbm
This is the power transmitted in the downstream path relative to one milliwatt, so the actual power is 100 milliwatts.

attenuation upstream: 18.5 db This is the measure of the line loss in the upstream direction so the signal is being attenuated by 18.5db.
in reality this means that about 1/70th of the original signal gets to the other end.
(Every 3 db step is a halving of the original power so 3db=1/2 6db=1/4 9db=1/8th and so on)

Hope this clears some of the figures up?
Ianwild
Grafter

What do the numbers mean

They also mean you should be fine with 1MB on the line!
N/A

What do the numbers mean

Shut it Mr Salesman! :lol:

My plans are allready in place. Once I have this damned office onto the new service (and my referal goes up), I plan on an upgrade.

I just want the trial out of the way. Allthough pretty much a complete process now, I prefer to know things will work.