cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What data rate should I be getting?

N/A

Hi,

Accroding to BT (and Plus net) my exchange is due to be upgraded this month, but they said that last month.

When I do a check for broadband availability it says I should be able to get upto 2Mb, but it's said that since the exchange was enabled 2yrs ago.

I'm currently on 512Kb premier. Have I been able to get 2Mb all this time, with just Plus net throttling my connection?

I'm trying to work out what my line is currently capable of, my router says:
DSL Flavour = ADSL over POTS
Reserved Bandwidth (kbit/s) up/down = 288 / 576
Output Power (dBm) up/down = 12.5 / 17.0
Attenuation (dB) up/down = 8.0 / 15.0
Noise Margin (dB) up/down = 31.0 / 30.5

Does anyone know how to calculate what I can get? or is more info needed?

Thanks.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Hi hoopy,

Looking at the line attenuation and SNR figures posted, you should be able to take 2Mb comfortably.
BT states better then 43dB attenuation (i.e. less than 43) for 2Mb and your figure is 15dB, which is much better. Also SNR above 15/16dB (i.e. greater than) is considered good, again your 30.5dB is much better.

So, from a line point of view 2Mb should not be a problem (you could probably cope with 8Mb if available Cheesy ), so it is down to exchange equipment upgrade/PlusNet.

Hope this makes sense.

CM
vic_newey
Grafter

Attenuation (dB) up/down = 8.0 / 15.0
Noise Margin (dB) up/down = 31.0 / 30.5

These look odd but possibly not as I would have thought that the above stats would be the other way round in reality 31 / 35 would be your attenuation & the upper figures your SNR
N/A

Hi vicnewey,

When I firt saw the posted values I thought the same as you, but as my SNR is 25/31 (up/down) and my attenuation is 20/24 (up down) I thought, if he is close to the exchange with a good line it is possible.

But if it has been a mistake I will just have to Shockedops: :lol:

CM
vic_newey
Grafter

If his stats are correct then I'm jealous as mine are scraping the barrel for 1 meg..
N/A

You appear to be confusing several pieces of information, and exactly what they mean.

The exchanges ability to supply 2Mb, the ability for your lien to support it and the upgrade program are three very independant things.

Almost all BT Exchanges are capable of serving customers with 2Mb speeds. They have been able to, as long as ADSL has been available from the exchange.

There are a few exceptions to this, but if you are with PlusNet, then it doesn't apply.

The ability for your line to support 2Mb is based on the quality of the line. The BT checker shows a roguh estimate of the ability.

Just because your line can support 2Mb and your exchange is capable of supplying it, it does not mean that you are going to receive your upgrade any time soon. This only signals that you have a good chance of receiving 2Mb when you time comes.

The upgrade program will unfortunatly happen when it happens. Have you checked the usertools checker, to see when your exchange is in theory going to receive the upgrade?
N/A

OK,

The values I quoted earlier are copy/pasted from my router so they should be the right way around.

So if I understand everyone correctly then I should be able to get 2mb when available, even theoretically 8mb, nice! However, I still have to wait for the exchange equipment to be installed.

Is there anyway of knowing if the exchange has been upgraded? BT/Plus net suggests August but I'm looking for a test I can actually run to know for sure.