cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can be done to get 2meg?

N/A

I would like to have the 2meg I am paying for instead of the 1meg I am getting.

What if anything can be does about my line to get the 2meg?

Properties
Output Power (dBm) up/down = 10.0 / 15.5
Attenuation (dB) up/down = 24.0 / 42.0
Noise Margin (dB) up/down = 26.0 / 27.0
Vendor Id (local/remote) = ALCB / TSTC
41 REPLIES
N/A

those stats look ok to me for 2meg :shock:

Why is it you're not getting it? Is it just because the BT checker says you cant have it?

Have a look at http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=general&Number=2084086&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5...
Community Veteran

You are very close to the limits so it's possible BT's line test will show >43dB and thus not allow 2Mbs on the line - router stats can be inacurate.

What does the BT ADSL checker say the fastest your line will take. If that only says 1Mbs then that is another reason BT will not give you the upgrade.

The only other way is if you get included in the audit BT are doing for the free speed upgrade. But again, if you are not included in that, BT will not upgrade your line.

Try raising a ticket and ask for a whoosh test but PN may refuse as it's really only for diagnosing faults not for determining if your stats are accurate or not.
N/A

I know for a fact I am well out of limits for 1meg but plusnet pushed a manual regrade through for that. Maybe you could do the same? If you include the screenshot of your stats in the ticket, this is usually enough to persuade them.
N/A

So I should ask PN to push this through ?

Do you now have 2 meg or 1? and if the upgrade was forced does this not meen a trade off on reliability, ie are you getting discons?

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Ful quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
N/A

to be honest it depends how you go about doing it. We can all see that 2meg would not be an issue with those stats (and when maxDSL comes out in April you could see something nearer to 8Meg). There is no harm in asking if they will push it through on a manual, the worse they can say is no, but bear in mind you will probably have to pay the £14.99 regrade charge.

I originally had 512k, and I asked if plusnet would put a manual in for me to regrade to 1meg. I haven't noticed any errors (none that I can see anyway) and my link tends to stay up for weeks on end. If you manage to get upgraded to 2meg then I dont see stability being an issue for you

As Peter asked - what does the bt broadband checker say about your line?
N/A

this site http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php say this

------------------------

BT ADSL broadband availability
You are connected to the Seaton Delaval (NESVL) telephone exchange.

Your exchange is enabled for ADSL!
There is capacity at your exchange for further ADSL connections.

Your location should be able to receive service of up to 2Mbps
If possible, check with a phone number as these are far more accurate.

You are approximately 1.94km from the exchange (straight line distance).

-----------------------

the BT checker says

-----------

Broadband Availability Checker powered by BT
For Telephone Number removed on Exchange SEATON DELAVAL

Your exchange has ADSL broadband.

Our initial test on your line indicates that you may be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate of 1Mbps, 512Kbps or 256Kbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Note: If you have an ISDN or Home Highway service connected to this number and you wish to purchase Broadband ADSL, this can be arranged through your Service Provider. You will only be able to keep one of your ISDN / Home Highway telephone numbers - generally you can choose any of your numbers but there are some rare exceptions. If you have an existing Broadband ADSL service and wish to change service providers then please contact both your new and existing service provider to have this service transferred.

--------------------

I think I will give PN a call

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Removed your phone number for you, just in case]
N/A

However, there appears to a compatibility issue with your phone line. This could be caused by an existing broadband connection, ISDN, a DACS unit, TPON, a pending ADSL order or many other common issues. This will need to be resolved before ADSL can be supplied to your line.

?

Whats this all about?

I did have ISDN before the ADSL......!!!!!! I wonder
N/A

Whats this all about?

It just basically means you already have an ADSL service. This is what it always says.
Rich
Grafter

However, there appears to a compatibility issue with your phone line. This could be caused by an existing broadband connection, ISDN, a DACS unit, TPON, a pending ADSL order or many other common issues. This will need to be resolved before ADSL can be supplied to your line.

?

Whats this all about?

I did have ISDN before the ADSL......!!!!!! I wonder

See bold text in quote.
N/A

Shockedops:

thought I might have hit on something there.

Bugger!
Community Veteran

It is the BT checker result that is the most likely reason they have not allowed a free upgrade to 2Mbs on your line as it states you can only get 1Mbs. Getting BT to change that is also exteamly difficult and not something PN can do, it is also common for this info to be inaccurate as it's no based on ant particular line tests that have been done but a guess baised on line length and local expectations. Why samknows is different I have no idea because it should be based on BT data the same as the BT page.
N/A

"You are approximately 1.94km from the exchange (straight line distance)."

This must be a good thing?
Community Veteran

Actually totally irrelevant as no phone line takes the direct route to the exchange. I know of one case where the user could see the exchange at the bottom of their road (less than 200 Meters away) but they could only get a 512K connection because they were on the end of a long line that went in the opposite direction, around the town centre before reaching the exchange he could see. His actual line length was over 5KM.

The fact that the BT page says 1Mbs and your stats are lower still suggests you are probably have a phone line of less than 3KM to the exchange
N/A

I am now being told by PN my exchange is NOT 2 meg enabled?

If thats the case then how do I get BT to do this?