cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What broadband modem/router should I go for?

TomMelly
Grafter

I'm going to be upgrading to broadband fairly soon (currently on a conventional modem dial-up).

My current machine is win98 and fairly low spec.

However, I will be switching to either win2k on a better machine or linux (as a firewall, etc.) on my current machine.

What type of modem/router would be best to avoid problems when making the switch as well as most compatible with my current set up?

I assume that I can rule out USB - or is linux fairly happy with that?
6 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Hi
I would recommend the linksys wag54g which i use and never had any problems with or the Netgear DG834G which also gets good reviews on the forums
both of these are wireless routers which would be fine with your setup ! i havnt used wired routers for a while so dont know whats best at the moment but if you wanted to have a wired system you still wont go wrong with these two manufacturers

its no good thinking of usb with linux it doesnt like anything usb
N/A

I have the Netgear DG834G and never had an issue with it. Very easy to use, lots of wireless reach and very reliable.

Linksys are okay, but I've found them very hit and miss; particually if other ppl have wireless in the area or u aren't using linksys cards to connect to the WAP.
N/A

i also got linksys wag54g lovely router
and very good for routing tables if you
running multiple pc's

Takecare

Rob Cool
Community Veteran

I've have 2 routers from Netgear so far and both have been very reliable.

I currently have the DG834 and it's been running fine for the past 6 months. It's very easy t setup and configure (has a setup wizzard that finds most of the settngs).

It did have a few reboot issues but the latest Beta firmware (v2.10.09) has fixed those and it's been running without a reboot for over 18 days. So I recomend it.
TomMelly
Grafter

Thanks guys (and gals?).

The main point to take from this is that you basically recommend going the router route rather than modem - is that pretty much a given then?
holdtight
Grafter

Yes without a doubt go for the router everytime !